Pet Toilet Pad For Litters?

cowanbree

I was at a pet shop yesterday and while checking out their puppies I noticed that they appear to be using what must be a pet toilet for them to toilet on.

post-808-0-93494200-1386399232_thumb.jpg

The run was spotlessly clean apart from this. I can't imagine the pet shop spending much time training them to use this tray. Does anyone use these for their litter and how do they find them? Do the puppies just naturally use them from a very young age? It would be a lot easier than the power of newspaper I go through currently when I have a litter.

Edited by cowanbree

I sort of used 1 - I just used the puppy pee pads (bought in bulk on Ebay) with some fake grass laid over the top of them and yes they did naturally use them.

With my first litter I found when I cleaned the box that the majority of wet newspaper was in 1 corner and t happened to be near the wheeling box door so at that point I started putting the artificial grass there and after a few days moved it to just outside the box with a pee pad underneath it. Then I progressively moved it away from the box over a week until it was the furthest corner away from the box.

I never had problems with 9 puppies having wee and poo everywhere or walking through it. Sometimes they didn't quite make it on there - if they were walking and pooling they might start on the grass area but end up off of it or they may wee and get it just of the edge but they definitely tried to use it and were all very easy to house train. I did find with the 9 puppies that 1 wasn't enough and i needed 3 or 4 down to make a large enough area for them.

My second litter was only 2 puppies and I did the same thing with them. By 6 weeks of age I was having them free in the house without accidents. I had a couple of pee mats down in different areas of the house and if I didn't get them outside in time (we had a run of very hot weather so they had to stay inside during the day with quick trips out for the toilet then back in) they would actively seek the mats out and go on them.

Not that one but have used a patch of fake grass on top of the upside down lid of a 32 litre storage container. Cheap puppy loo & yes some did use it but had one litter that only used it to sleep on so took it out.

Keep a small patch outside to on the gravel. Some of the dogs always go on it.

Tiny breed.May not be big enough for large breed.

I have used the trays with fake grass . Had some success with them. I found the girls in the litter used them. Had more trouble with the boys! I had two and rotated them so I could wash them. The fake grass I felt I would probably replace for each litter as they can still smell a bit by the end. They did chew the fake grass a little. I was taking them outside at regular intervals too (and in good weather when older were in an outdoor pen) and by the end would poo outside only but were still using the fake grass to pee on as well. If you want to research litter potty training google the 'misty method'.