Finding What Shows To Go To

LOLAFOLATA

It is often posted when researching your breed/s of choice or looking for a puppy you should go to shows.

How do you find out which shows to go to or what days your breed will be exhibited? Do you need to contact breeders indiviually to see what shows they will be attending? I have been to the last 2 Royal Canberra Shows in the hope of meeting some Mastiffs and their breeders to no avail. It's impossible for me to attend all 3 days of the show. I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance within the region. I would like, though, to be sure a trip wasn't in vain.

Any advice on best approach would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lola

Generally the schedules for the shows will be up on the canine councils websites in the show and trial calendar.

For example DogsACT and DogsNSW

Most shows are one day shows, though there may be a group of two or three or more shows run over a weekend in the same place.

There are only a few shows that run over multiple days - e.g. the Royals and for these you need to note which day a breed will be on.

The Royals will generally have a website too as they are run by Agricultural Societies.

For example Canberra Royal and Sydney Royal

The shedule for Canberra Royal shows that Mastiffs will be judged on Sunday (i.e. 'Balance of Utility' in the Schedule)

For Sydney Royal the Mastiffs are judged on Sunday 13 April 2014.

Note that Mastiffs re not overly common at shows at the moment (a lot more Bullmastiffs) so it could be better to contact breeders to see what shows they may be going to so you can meet them.

There are a lot of shows where no Mastiffs are present (more likely to see them in Sydney).

Sydney Royal is likely your best bet to see some, but again better to check with breeders, or ask on here just before or when the show starts and before you make the trip so someone can tell you how many are entered.

Edited by espinay2

Generally the schedules for the shows will be up on the canine councils websites in the show and trial calendar.

For example DogsACT and DogsNSW

Most shows are one day shows, though there may be a group of two or three or more shows run over a weekend in the same place.

There are only a few shows that run over multiple days - e.g. the Royals and for these you need to note which day a breed will be on.

The Royals will generally have a website too as they are run by Agricultural Societies.

For example Canberra Royal and Sydney Royal

The shedule for Canberra Royal shows that Mastiffs will be judged on Sunday (i.e. 'Balance of Utility' in the Schedule)

For Sydney Royal the Mastiffs are judged on Sunday 15 April 2014.

Note that Mastiffs re not overly common at shows at the moment (a lot more Bullmastiffs) so it could be better to contact breeders to see what shows they may be going to so you can meet them.

There are a lot of shows where no Mastiffs are present (more likely to see them in Sydney).

Sydney Royal is likely your best bet to see some, but again better to check with breeders, or ask on here just before or when the show starts and before you make the trip so someone can tell you how many are entered.

Thanks for great advice Espinay. Hoping there will be a Mastiff or 2 at Canberra this year :crossfingers: . Looks like Sydney Royal is the go. At least it's a Sunday that I'll be able to attend.

If there is a breed club in your state, call them up and see if or when they might have a breed specialty show.

Dory

Closest Mastiff club is Vic. Still may be worth contacting though. Thanks

In less numeric breeds often a state club will act as a pseudo national club in that members from other states are also members and often attend their shows. I know the Pyrenean Mountain Dog Club of Victoria is like that. If you get the chance to go down to their show, it may be worthwhile. I do know some mastiff people from NSW make the trip, with or without dogs.

When I went out to show to see a particular breed, I started by contacting breeders that I liked the look of, and they told me where they would be showing, and very kindly invited me to come up and introduce myself. I did, and also managed to meet breeders of several other breeds, one of which I have fallen in love with, and another which is confirmed as my DH's favourite!

The other thing is just because they are enetered is no guarantee they will turn up especially in summer ,

Sydney Royal or one of the big special shows would see them more likely to turn up so sometimes worth the drive for a life long pet