The Consensus On Vaccinations?

Esky the husky

I am confusing the bejuebus out of myself, reading old threads on DOL trying to work out when it will be safe to take my pup out.

I get that high dog traffic areas are a no go until fully vaccinated.

But everything I've read has just confused the heck out of me. :o

Where and when can I take this pup?

My belief is obviously no high dog traffic areas, and below the tide line at the beach, and yesterday we took Nala to the river (in the water, near the mouth of the river). Obviously that could be hard if you don't have a beach. Our beach is mostly deserted too, I would never have taken her to the dog beach in town that has every dog in town there.

I've taken her to work, totaled about 2 weeks there with me. I work in a pet store, which seem high risk but not once did she meet another dog, only people and - and only people I allowed. She spent 90% of her time behind a barrier where we serve from and she slept most of the time. Only time she went out was to toilet.

She met SO many nice people in this time, I think it's been very good for her socialization. The only dogs she's met so far are the other dogs that we have here, and my mum and dad's dogs at their house.

Vaccination on Monday, countdown until I can get her out in ON!

We're pretty lucky here, got plenty of beach here, although it's probably one of the most popular beach areas around Adelaide, so not ideal.

I mostly walk Esky through the industrial area at the moment and haven't seen any dogs there, I also thought the less popular forest areas might be good?

Benji has had 2 of his vaccs, due for the 3rd on the 27th of December. I have taken him on lots of car rides, gotten out of the car at school a couple of times but his feet never touched the ground and he didn't see any other dogs.

I have taken him on a play date to another dally owners home whose dogs are fully vacced, and to my MILs home who hasn't had a dog for a couple of years but the dog she had was always vacced.

I think its about making smart informed choices, not hanging around high traffic areas, not allowing them to sniff random poo. just being careful.