Ownership Question

A cat came into the care of a rescue organisation in June 2013 after spending her stray time at the pound. The rescue had her chipped, desexed and vaccinated and she has been in foster since that time waiting for her forever home. Last night a lady claiming to be her owner contacted the rescue stating that she is her cat that she lost 12 months ago. She has sent through photos which admittedly does seem to look like the girl in question, along with photos of her last litter of kittens, she would like 'her cat back'. Can anyone help with the legal obligations in this scenario?

Once an animal has done its time at the pound, it is legally the property of the pound who can dispose of the animal as they see fit. If it then went to a rescue group who did the necessary vetwork, chipping etc, then it is legally the property of the rescue group. If the cat wasn't already chipped there's no way to prove ownership. It's really common for people who have lost cats to see cats in rescue and think it is their cat. Trouble with cats is that unless they have very distinctive markings, its not that easy to tell from a photo.

I adopted a cat from a pound a few years ago and was contacted a while later by the original owner (a very distinctive breed) - I decided to let the cat go back to the owner, but had no legal obligation to do so.

If you think she's a good home ask her to adopt the cat from you, that way all the legal paperwork will be done.

A cat came into the care of a rescue organisation in June 2013 after spending her stray time at the pound. The rescue had her chipped, desexed and vaccinated and she has been in foster since that time waiting for her forever home. Last night a lady claiming to be her owner contacted the rescue stating that she is her cat that she lost 12 months ago. She has sent through photos which admittedly does seem to look like the girl in question, along with photos of her last litter of kittens, she would like 'her cat back'. Can anyone help with the legal obligations in this scenario?

If ownership can be proven, I'd be inclined to return the cat and expect reimbursement for the cost of vet work.

If it isn't possible to prove ownership then they could apply to adopt.

In all reality, if it is her long lost cat, although she hasn't any legal rights I feel there is a moral right to return the animal.

Were they lost and found within a reasonable distance? How old was the cat? Does it have distinct markings?

Guest donatella

I would think that above legalities the right thing would be to return the animal to it's original owner? Id be devastated if my lost pet wasn't given back.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's much appreciated. The rescue is very aware of the moral obligation involved and has definitely not ruled out returning the cat to her original owner if she is in fact her cat.

Will keep you updated, thanks again.