Tick Prone Area

ChewieTAG

There are ticks where there were none in previous seasons. Reptiles and native animals are the culprits, as is the unseasonably hot weather we had in winter. I'm a vet nurse in the Upper North Shore and we were having tick paralysis cases all through winter. Just this past month, a puppy was on a ventilator for days and ended up dying at SASH - she picked up a tick from her own backyard in Epping. Tick cases are now an almost daily occurrence. My best advice is to know where the nearest 24 hr vet is (and how to get there), shave your animals if you can, do a daily tick search and use tick preventative. Ticks can be in odd places too; we had a cat with 2 ticks attached inside its eyelid! Most will be from the front legs forward too.

I used to live in North Sydney and Cammeray, and my husky picked up a tick in summer. Thankfully we caught it before she was symptomatic, and she didn't seem to be effected by it at all. I pulled a tick off a little mini foxy there too. I think, as someone else suggested, that being so close to the coast might make the lower north shore a high risk area.

that means, places as far as Chatswood would be less prone to ticks? as it is more than 10km away from the shore.....

There are ticks where there were none in previous seasons. Reptiles and native animals are the culprits, as is the unseasonably hot weather we had in winter. I'm a vet nurse in the Upper North Shore and we were having tick paralysis cases all through winter. Just this past month, a puppy was on a ventilator for days and ended up dying at SASH - she picked up a tick from her own backyard in Epping. Tick cases are now an almost daily occurrence. My best advice is to know where the nearest 24 hr vet is (and how to get there), shave your animals if you can, do a daily tick search and use tick preventative. Ticks can be in odd places too; we had a cat with 2 ticks attached inside its eyelid! Most will be from the front legs forward too.

I used to live in North Sydney and Cammeray, and my husky picked up a tick in summer. Thankfully we caught it before she was symptomatic, and she didn't seem to be effected by it at all. I pulled a tick off a little mini foxy there too. I think, as someone else suggested, that being so close to the coast might make the lower north shore a high risk area.

that means, places as far as Chatswood would be less prone to ticks? as it is more than 10km away from the shore.....

I don't think so, not anymore anyway. It might be worth calling up a few Chatswood vet clinics and asking if they're seeing any tick paralysis cases. That would be the best way to get a localised report of tick activity methinks.

Call a vet and ask how many tick cases they are seeing at the moment. It is a generally bad year for ticks. I was at my vet today(sth coast, not Sydney) getting my dogs nails trimmed and the vet nurse said they had six ticks cases out the back just today!

thanks for the info. I saw in the news there were few alerts that stated ticks alert even during the early Spring because of not so cold winter this year. And the tick paralysis is pretty bad too.

Just thinking of sharing this Tick Alert Map from Mosman Vet Tick website.

I am not sure if this is an overall database from somewhere or just from the vet clinic itself.

It's pretty handy. You can see how many tick paralysis that were pick up by cats & dogs.

Initially I wanted to try out Pyrmont and Surry Hill, hopefully it's not too high chance of tick paralysis cases.

Edited by chewak