Rspca Pet Gift Vouchers

kelpiecuddles

I can't decide how I feel about this whole thing. In theory I think it's good that it encourages people to get animals from shelters rather than pet shops but I worry that it may encourage people who otherwise weren't planning a pet to get one that they were unprepared for. They are basing it on the lack of trends towards seasonal animal surrenders BUT not having a trend in surrenders doesn't mean those animals weren't poorly informed Christmas presents, it just means people make their choice to surrender across the year. I'd really like to see a break down of how and when people who surrender acquired their pets, when there's no trend in those figures that shows that pets as presents are generally a bad idea THEN I'll be OK with this scheme...

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/video/watch/20423667/pets-can-be-for-christmas/

Saw this ad for the 1st time tonight.

The no puppy farms statement was a little misleading I felt as many of the cats & dogs available do come from these kind of places or from poor conditions with little known background, known environment, health tests or recorded ancestry.

Still suppose if it gets more adopted & lowers the euthanasia rate then it doesn't matter so much.

I cant get the video to work :confused:

Christmas (easter etc) is a great time to adopt for some families as everyone is home, there is time to settle in a new pet, form bonds etc.

Regardless of what time of year people adopt a great adoption process, matching dogs and owners well, information and follow up support reduces risk factors that lead to dumping significantly.