Potato In Dry Food

How do they manage? The suppliers in AU cannot manage to provide guarantees re no green potatoes. The big food processors can't manage it hence why they don't use them.

Only way to manage the process would be to physically inspect every single potato.

Asking them what?

Their process of checking for green potatoes etc

Its a filler. It's there to take the place of grain as a filler because "grain free" is the new catch cry for marketing dog food.

Thought that was the case.

Is it ...

a) no different to grains

b) better than grains

c) worse than grains

That's not correct. A lot of the corn in kibble these days is GMO and confirmed with a number of kibble co's when I did the last lot of research for our Dane feed guide.

Can you please explain what you mean? I don't quite understand.

How do they manage? The suppliers in AU cannot manage to provide guarantees re no green potatoes. The big food processors can't manage it hence why they don't use them.

Only way to manage the process would be to physically inspect every single potato.

Asking them what?

Good luck with that! I highly doubt a customer service rep would know the answer. It is a technical question that is dealt with at manufacturing level.

Its a filler. It's there to take the place of grain as a filler because "grain free" is the new catch cry for marketing dog food.

Thought that was the case.

Is it ...

a) no different to grains

b) better than grains

c) worse than grains

That's not correct. A lot of the corn in kibble these days is GMO and confirmed with a number of kibble co's when I did the last lot of research for our Dane feed guide.

I'm pretty confident that Royal Canin remains GM free but if you know different Sas, I'd appreciate an update. :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Asking them what?

Good luck with that! I highly doubt a customer service rep would know the answer. It is a technical question that is dealt with at manufacturing level.

The customer service rep will have access to technical services team who can get the answer for this question. They might not be able to answer it straight away but they should be able to get the answer for you within a week or 2.

There is an issue with using potato in dry food. Green potatoes produce a toxin that the manufacturing process of dry food cannot deal with and which is not good for dogs. If you want to use potato then you need to have a supplier that can guarantee a maximum percentage of green potatoes in a batch. But of course, they cannot do this because the sorting etc is done by machine.

I don't think any Australian manufacturers use potato these days. Black Hawk did but have recently switched to sweet potato - I would be curious as to how they managed the toxin level issue.

Me too

GMO Corn isn't something I'd want to feed but some people don't mind, I guess it's up to you if you're ok with it. I won't feed any corn personally but diet is all a personal choice isn't it.

If you're not sure what GMO corn is and what its effects are, have a look around online and see if it's something you're ok with.

It was an interesting task contacting Kibble Support lines to ask if they used GMO Corn, most were taken back and didn't know how to respond and some tried responding without answering the question. If you want to know if your Kibble has GMO corn has the question and don't back down.