Puppy Has Started To Escape!

Meeks

How do other dogs get into the yard? :s I'd be concerned for the safety of the puppy, chained or not, if that was the case. Persephone, valid point but want to clarify how the suburbia changes things if the yard is fenced? Apart from uneducated neighbours...

How do other dogs get into the yard? :s I'd be concerned for the safety of the puppy, chained or not, if that was the case. Persephone, valid point but want to clarify how the suburbia changes things if the yard is fenced? Apart from uneducated neighbours...

The same way the pup is getting out?

I thought the OP had covered up the holes the pup dug. Anyway, I'd probably first make sure no one was getting in or out of the yard, maybe put some pavers along the fence or something, put mesh underground or whatever else you think will work. Then not leave the pup unsupervised and also if she's not enjoying outside time alone maybe keep her inside if that doesn't bother you..

Edited by Hockz

I, and many others on rural properties, have successfully stopped pups from digging under fences by setting up a single strand of electric fence about 15m mm above the ground, close enough to the fence that they cannot approach the base of the fence without getting zapped. This is probably illegal where you live, but if your fence is solid, it would be inconspicuous. After being zapped a couple times, mine don't even approach the base of the fence.

Or set up a chain spot. A lot cheaper than a kennel run and just as safe.

Nope. Dogs have hung themselves this way, got themselves caught up etc.

Also, it often just builds up frustration in the dog. Not nice for the dog and not safe either.

ETA: To the OP, I would keep her inside while unsupervised until you can secure the yard. This is a short-term option and may mean some pee in the house and some chewed stuff, but it is much safer for her. I'm not suggesting that she stays locked-up indoors for the long term though.

Edited by megan_

Pretty sure pingg string is allowed in Vic as well as NSW. Alternatively, a run does not have to be concrete floored, weld mesh will do the same job as long as you pick a small enough size. If you use weldmesh you can also disassemble the pen and take it with you if you have to move. You will need to crate train, pen or otherwise make it impossible for her to escape, others have explained why this is important.

Electric tape may also stop her digging but once she is big enough she may discover jumping, so a roofed pen with a floor is really the way to go in my opinion (as I don't think puppies should be crated for extended periods of time).

Thank you everyone for all the information! It has helped out a lot!!

We created a barrier which if Missy can get under or over or somehow through she really is a Houdini! When being outside by herself, we place her in a secure area. She isn't too keen on this space, but it stops her from escaping our yard and makes me feel a little more at peace when im at work.

We also put a sheet of mesh across the top of the space so there could be no jumping out.. (First thing she attempted to do when we put her in there was jump out).

I know this is a different topic to what is asked originally, but any other Amstaff owners - Have you found any specific exercises that really suits the amstaff? I was looking at some agility training?

With such a young pup if you want to start agility stick to teaching commands and very very basic stuff -- no jumps, climbing etc yet. Also it's best to attend training guided by someone knowledgeable as you'll easily do more harm than good with back yard agility.

Depends what you want really, just remember young pups don't need lots of physical exercise yet. Let them do everything at their own pace. :) My dog absolutely loves tugging games and I've set up a spring pole for him, it's good fun. With a pup you'll want them to be able to have all four legs on ground though.

If you're interested in weight pulling then that's something that can be started early too, by introducing the harness and getting used to dragging something very lightweight (like a water bottle filled with pebbles) and teaching them different cues. Weight pulling seems to suit bull breeds, a lot of them enjoy it.

Same goes for everything really, most sports/training can be started early but everything has to be kept on an appropriate "puppy level". :)

The foundation of an agility dog is control on the flat (just as it is with show jumping and horses)

You own a dog that is going to develop into a powerful and tenacious breed. I would suggest obedience training to develop her responsiveness and your teamwork before commencing agility. Amstaffs aren't what I'd call an ideal agility shape but there are dogs that compete successfully.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

It's basically a hanging tug toy set up with a spring in the middle to make the jerks easier on the dog. I got the largest spring I could find from Bunnings (I think it might have been a garage door spring or something similar) and tied a piece of rope on both ends -- one end for a tug toy (or a piece of hide, most dogs prefer that) and the other for hanging the thing off whatever you can think of. Mine is attached to the roof of our shed, but I'd prefer softer ground like grass. Thick tree branches are great and I've seen brilliant spring pole set ups that kind of look like a basketball hoop stand or a kids' swing set frame. Sturdier, in most cases though. The rope between the spring and toy minimises the risk of the dog accidentally grabbing the spring.

Edited by Hockz

That sounds great, thanks! I googled it and they seem to be very commonly used for bull breeds, but I don't see why it wouldn't be fun for any dog that likes tugging? We have some great trees I can use - will have to go buy a spring and some rope, thanks :)

A friend of mine has one for her 3 min pins, they love it. :p

As for introducing it, if the dog doesn't show interest in the toy at first try putting it in a horizontal position first and then gradually move it up from there. Helped me a lot when my boy didn't "get" it at first!

Edited by Hockz