Tyre Kickers Driving Me Nuts

indigirl

Cut and paste is your friend. And, remember, those a#@$%&^es who didn't bother to get back to you, would have been very poor homes, so some poor pup was saved from that. Some people are photo collectors too. I wonder if they paste them around their walls.

I am going to write a book about them. I had a woman tell me she was looking for a pup for her 3 children, and I so wanted to ask her if she would throw a car in and then perhaps I would consider it.

The one who took that cake lately - was the one who wanted photos of a bitch, then more photos, then another photo - which I duly supplied, and when I had sent about 6, he said "thanks, lovely pup" and was never heard from again

If you respond badly,no matter how much they deserve it, or how much you want to, you give the entire world of dogs a very bad name, and I think we all owe it to our hobby to be better than that. I always resist the temptation to say "just truck off". Always

I always think I have time to keep the dogs, plan the mating do the mating, raise the pups, do the paperwork, so of course I have time to answer all the peculiar queries I get.

But I must say, they are getting more and more peculiar. I tried putting the price on the ad - they still asked how much. Ah, cousin Emmett and my sainted aunt!!

People really dont seem to understand that it isnt a supermarket..... they cant just walk in a pick a puppy off the shelf like a tin of peas !!!

My advert clearly says that the puppies are available to "selected families", these homes must "meet our strict selection criteria" and that "expressions of interest are being accepted for assessment now".

Here is a sample of emails that have been recieved today.

Apart from their first name at the end of the emails, all quotes contain the FULL email content.

"I am just emailing to see if you have any current litters available and for some information".

"Could you tell me if any puppy's are still available".

"is the pup still available and if so what value"

"Could u please let me know if still have puppies and cost".

One that bothered to phone wanted to get a puppy as a "friend" for their 15 year old dog !! I tried to explain that their old dog may not appreciate the attention of an active exuberant young puppy but I was told that she "mothered" their cat when he was a kitten and that she "loved" baby animals !!!!

People just dont seem to think things through particularly well. This person didnt seem to understand that although she felt that her 15 year old dog was up to running around with a growing, outgoing puppy right now, it was unlikely to continue in the near future as 15 years will soon be 16 years and advancing age would soon catch up with their dog !! Of course I was told that I was wrong and that I didnt know their dog....... but I DO know what happens to dogs as they age and to inflict a rambunctious energetic adolescent pup on an elderly dog was NOT fair to either animal.

No doubt she will toddle off to get her new puppy from a pet shop which is where their 15 year old came from originally ......

I suppose that I'm lucky in that I do have many enquiries that are thoughtful and intelligent and induce me to reply to them. This type of enquiry often is from people who are highly suited as owners. Unfortunately, enquiries like those that I have quoted rarely get a reply from me. Perhaps that is considered rude or judgemental by some, but I'm afraid that I just dont see why I should spend my valuable time sending a reply to a person who apparently doesnt believe that I deserve some consideration in their initial approach to me. They have been given a clear indication in my advert that I require information from them if they are serious about obtaining one of my puppies.

If they are really keen they will try again or they will phone and I can engage them in conversation to learn a bit about their suitability. If cost is their primaty consideration then I am also concerned that they may not have the financial basis to adequately care for a puppy into adulthood.

Edited by Wundahoo