Over 2 1/2, Still Hasn't Have First Season

Hi all. My little Italian Greyhound Breeze is now just over 2 and a half, and still has not had her first season. While I'm aware the breed are often "late-bloomers" I am starting to get a little worried about it. Could there be an underlying health concern, that sort of thing. I spoke in passing to a vet at a dog show when Breeze was 2 about it and they just said wait a bit longer and see. I'm not sure if theres anything that could be done or looked into, just wanting to see if anyone else had very late first seasons from their girls and could share their experience, or if theres anything health wise I should be concerned about. This is the first time I've owned an entire girl so I'm new to this whole season business.

I'd have it checked out. My old girl Poochie was never desexed and due to having a large family (5 young kids) my parents assumed she had been as she never came into heat. I remember once seeing a few blood spots in her bed as a young dog then nothing again.

She hit about 15 when she started hunching over and groaning when you touched her stomach. Turns out she had a massive ovarian tumour that had spread to her kidneys and it was the size of a rockmelon when taken out. Poochie was an Aussie Terrier so a small breed dog.

She got through everything fine but I'm willing to bet she'd had the tumour growing since being a young dog and that's why she never came into season. Hard to know but for peace of mind, I'd def have your girl checked out to be safe.

I'd have it checked out. My old girl Poochie was never desexed and due to having a large family (5 young kids) my parents assumed she had been as she never came into heat. I remember once seeing a few blood spots in her bed as a young dog then nothing again.

She hit about 15 when she started hunching over and groaning when you touched her stomach. Turns out she had a massive ovarian tumour that had spread to her kidneys and it was the size of a rockmelon when taken out. Poochie was an Aussie Terrier so a small breed dog.

She got through everything fine but I'm willing to bet she'd had the tumour growing since being a young dog and that's why she never came into season. Hard to know but for peace of mind, I'd def have your girl checked out to be safe.

Ok thanks for that, I might talk it over with the rest of the family (right now I'm jobseeking so they'd have to pay for it) about getting her checked out for peace of mind.

What does her breeder say is normal for her lines?

I don't speak with her breeder anymore but when I spoke to her about it when she was younger I believe she said her mother came in at 18 months for the first time, and has had them fairly regularly since, the mother has had 5 litters and will be 9 this year. I believe 16_18 months isnt unusual for them.

If you're concerned, talk to a repro vet. I did this once for a girl who I thought hadn't come into season at 2 1/2 yrs.. After a brief exam, the vet laughed at me in a friendly way and said I was wrong. He gave me some meds that brought on her next season. She was mated and had 9 healthy pups.