Anxiety

anniejac

Hi Everyone,

My Staffordshire Terrier suffers from anxiety. I took her to the vets and he gave me some Clomav 20mg tablets to try for two weeks.

I could not believe the price he charged me $98.10 for 30 Tablets.

Upon doing some research and finding that the ingredients were Clomipramine Hydrochloride I found the tablets with the same ingredients online at a chemist for $32.20 for 250tablets.

Now I understand that the Vets have to make a profit from the medication they supply but this too me is a absolute rip off.

The problem is that I can't go and get the tablets from Chemist with out a prescription.

If she needs to stay on these tablets then I can't afford $98.10 a fortnight to keep her on..

Does anyone have a dog with bad anxiety on medication, if so what do you use.

Thank you

Anne

I doubt it is a rip off. Chemists get a cheaper price through buying much greater quantities and we get it cheaper because it is subsidised by Medicare! Vets don't get either of these factors so charge you not much more than they pay. There is very little money in vet meds.

If you ask your vet, they will most likely write you a prescription for a human alternative (if there is one). If not, you could try another vet for the script.

My vet used to do it for tablets my old Stafford was on when he had cancer.

Just so you know, vets don't have the buying capacity that chemists do - they just don't get the bulk discounts that chemists receive from pharmaceutical companies. So charge accordingly - as Danois said, there really isn't much made out of vet meds.

I get a script off a Vet as well & save $ 70 every 6 weeks for Stella. However my Vet that I have been using for many years wont write me a script so I see one out of the area, it certainly is worth my trouble.

Edited by BC Crazy

Except that it is not a channel in which they are able to purchase medication??

Why not?? I would have thought that vets could source medication for at least the same price as consumers can through a prescription service.

Edited by Rosetta