Tto Surgery - Bruising?

Hi everyone,

My German Shorthaired Pointer had TTO surgery for a ruptured ACL on Tuesday night. He returned home Wednesday and so far his recovery has been great. We removed the outside bandage and wadding at about 9:30am this morning and were very pleased with how it all looked. At about 4pm I noticed that he had developed a bruise like mark on his belly behind his penis.

His gums and temperature are all normal. There's no blood in his stool and he did not react to me touching the area. I don't think it could be irritation from the bandage as I don't think it was close to the area.

Has anyone experienced this before? I would call the surgery/vet but they are closed until Tuesday. We can go to the after hours place if needed but obviously I would like to avoid putting him through the stress.

Thank you for your help!

post-42724-0-68210400-1390644039_thumb.jpg

post-42724-0-85576000-1390644093_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest

It looks to be very demarcated. The area has very defined edges to it.

It could possibly be a reaction to the adhesive drapes that are often used for this procedure. I would keep a close eye on it and if it doesnt improve within the next couple of days then it might be best that you get some attention for it. I doubt that it's serios, but it's ahrd to tell from the photo.

The most important thing is that the incision site looks dry and clean, with no discolouration, swelling or discharge and that he is free of pain.

Did you not get an after hours contact for the person who did the surgery. I know with both of mine when they had surgery we had contact details (after hours phone contact and email contact) for the vet and they said if you were worried at any stage don't hesitate. Especially in the first few days after surgery.

I remember sending an email one Sunday night about 10 days post-op and having a response back in 5 min. I know though if you call the clinic and your a current client you can get through to somebody. Maybe worth calling the clinic and seeing what the message service says.

Edited by ness

Thank you for the advice/reassurance everyone :flower:

It has improved a lot over night. I've managed to get in contact with someone now and have emailed them pictures :)

Good news - everything is always a bit of a worry when they have had surgery. It normally turns out to be perfectly normal and something the vets have seen before but also better to be safe then sorry.