Agility Recall

So Sarah and I had our first agility lesson yesterday. She managed most of the obstacles ok, a bit hesitant around some more than others which is to be expected but the one thing I didn't expect was for her to just walk around an obstacle and keep going out of the ring when I tried her off leash. It wasn't easy to get her to come back either :(

When Sarah is at the park or at home and having a good time her recall is fine, in fact if Collie is not with us (which was the case yesterday) she usually prefers to stick by my side. However if she's a bit hesitant about something or thinks I'm going to get her to do something she doesn't want to do then I have issues getting her to come back to me, treats and all.

As with all dogs agility requires a fair bit of training and Sarah will take a bit longer just through her lack of confidence but I know once that happens she'll love it because she loves running and she loves running by my side. So how do I get her confidence levels up while maintaining control over her, agility can be pretty restrictive with a leash on.

Honestly, I never have dogs on leash on agility equipment. I would play LOTS of interactive games - tug if she loves that or tricks for food rewards. I wouldn't be touching obstacles but would do heaps of off leash flat work as dogs spend a lot more time between obstacles than tackling them. This builds confidence and you can teach heaps of handling skills. Once you progress, for tunnels (short and straight) and jumps (low!) I do restrained recalls through or over one jump at a time and then have a crazy game. You need to build value for the obstacles and playing the agility game with you.

ETA: She is leaving because she is stressed. Just because dogs love to run and love being with you it does not mean that they will love agility. My Em is a case in point - but I am teaching her to love it by breaking it all down to tiny parts filled with running flat out and fun!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I agree with TSD.

Is she used to being in an environment with lots of other dogs, and the barking and motion with dogs running etc? If she is not used to that, the environment could be contributing. Is it a busy club?

I would, as TSD said, work on fun and motivating games that do not involve obstacles for a while. Tugging is of course ideal, but if she doesn't like tugging you can play running and chasing games with food, restrained recalls, hand touches, spins etc. If the environment is stressing her, try to get to busy environments and play there, and also play where your lesson is.

the club is pretty busy but we've been going there for obedience for nearly 6 months so she's used to the area, I think it's the obstacles themselves that are putting her off.

She does like to tug a bit but generally only when she's really excited which is hard to do on cue

I think next week I'll skip obedience and just head down for agility. She was ok for most of the obstacles, she's gotten a lot better at jumps after only 3 brief experiences with them (to start with she was jumping about a foot higher than she needed to), she hasn't really had much experience with the tyre hoop which I think put her off a bit. Surprisingly she seemed to be enjoying the tunnel and we got her running though it with me calling her along the side.

and we have Underdog Training coming for a visit to check out our crazy cocker this week so I might bring it up with them as well :)

I think you need to work on getting her wanting to work with you. I don't think its safe to have dogs on lead when doing agility training. The risk is too high and even if they don't get injured they could give themselves a scare and you'd be worse off than you started.

You need to teach your dog that working with you is the funnest thing ever. Its easier if you have a very food/toy motivated dog. I'm lucky because i've never had any issues with my dogs not wanting to work with me or running off, but I'm still working on the relationship and a strong reward history with my new dog. My more experienced dog has recently started becoming more motivated for the ball than food and I find I'm getting more drive and focus when using a ball as a reward in training.

I'm excited working with my new dog as I think she'll be great once she has the confidence and experience but I'm still trying to work out how to get her more focussed on me

I was having a chat to Stuart from underdog training last night, he suggested target training and mixing things up with a bit of play time to prevent her from getting anxious in the first place.

As far as using a lead goes we're only doing 1 or a couple of obstacles at a time at the moment and not very quickly, I drop the lead for the tunnel and hoop and can easily pick it up again once she's though.

As Sarah lived a very sheltered life before I got her (breeder at a puppy farm) she approaches new things with hesitation. I could do all the ground work possible with her to get her working better with me but and as soon as we get to the agility equipment she would be just as nervous because it's new. I need her to get as much exposure with the agility equipment as possibly without the risk of her running off so it looks like the lead will need to stay for the mean time.

The thing is if the lead gets caught and she gets frightened/pulls something onto herself she could end up more fearful/nervous than she began.

When you are holding a lead your body isn't giving your dog the same picture it would usually be giving to take an obstacle because you are trying to hold a lead out of the way.

Do you do clicker training? With Trixie I shaped each obstacle individually until it was reliable and then started sequencing them - this made a big difference compared to my older dog who was taught with repetition of sequences - I understand most classes make this hard but instructors are usually happy for you to at least bring a clicker in? If you had a clicker you could use it to build value in the equipment. Shaping success is a good book to read if you want more info/reasoning on shaping the obstacles first.

Good luck with your girl and welcome to agility, it is a very fun, rewarding, and at times frustrating sport :D :laugh: