Struvite Crystals, Renal Failure

Erny

I thought this was additional good information that supports the use of raw meat/foods in our dogs' diets, rather than dry food. My boy who, as most are aware, has had problems over the years and has never been the best he can be until I found a whole raw balanced diet to suit him, regardless of the fact that in the early days, he was fed the best brand/s dry kibble money could buy (because I was too scared to "do the wrong thing" by creating a whole raw diet for him, preferring the "safety net" of falling for the labels, descriptions, etc. etc. that were printed on the commercial packets). I wish I had gone straight to a whole raw diet for him, and wished I knew back then the knowledge that his checkered health history has had me learn. But that's a hindsight thing and we can only but live and learn and put those things we've learnt into practice - for the ones we now have and for the ones we may have in the future.

Out of interest, one of the things I didn't know until now was of the dogs' system being designed to absorb water through their food and if food that does not provide this natural moisture is not provided, the dogs are forced to seek water separately to that ….. if they will and if they do this sufficiently is another matter.

I thought others might find this link to the Vets All Natural page an interesting insight to this topic.

Struvite Crystals, Renal failure

Edited by Erny

one of the things I didn't know until now was of the dogs' system being designed to absorb water through their food and if food that does not provide this natural moisture is not provided, the dogs are forced to seek water separately to that

yep. their systems (as are most animals) are very effective in using moisture in their food - cats especially ! :)

A cat who eats prey is eating a food with around 70% water - as opposed to dry food with under 10 % ! Wild cats can survive in arid climates because of this - they concentrate urine and need to drink very little extra water .