Deer Antler Velvet Treats?

casowner

I have been offered to be able to purchase large (or small) quantities of deer velvet from a grower/exporter, the antler before it goes hard and split so it has the amino acids, cartilage, some bone, meat etc what they use in Chinese Medicine. They would be sold as treats probably inch long and they have to be kept frozen. The velvet seems to have excellent health qualities and I am going to get it for my dogs but I was wondering what demand their would be. Does it seem like a good product?

Deer Velvet

hi cas :)

I've heard really good things about deer antler! the cost tho is outside my usual pet budget when raw bones are only about $3 a kilo.

I've wondered whether my two would take to them! I have 2 swfs: one is an avid chewer while the other only every other night decides to chew on a depleted bone. I'd be more than happy to introduce a product such as you describe but continue only if both enjoyed them and if the cost was doable, I'd be keen on a length of say 2 inches or more.

Thanks S&F I am going to go up to the farm and try some for my two, Azure is uber fussy so if she likes them I will give them a go. Being softer and chewy she may like them and if they are good for them it is a bonus but yes price will be the determining factor

Inch long would be too small for anything but very small dogs, I'd be worried about mine trying to swallow something that size whole. I'd consider using it as a treat if the price was OK but I refuse to buy in to any 'advertising' that claims something horn-like is automatically good for your sexlife. :laugh:

Inch long would be too small for anything but very small dogs, I'd be worried about mine trying to swallow something that size whole. I'd consider using it as a treat if the price was OK but I refuse to buy in to any 'advertising' that claims something horn-like is automatically good for your sexlife. :laugh:

I think Casowner is talking about some sort of soft treat made from the velvet, not the actual hard antler but it isn't very clear. If they need to be refrigerated they cannot be the antlers as these are best kept very dry. I get my antlers from that link but they only have them occasionally so I usually get a year's supply of 8 each December. I would love to be able to get them with the velvet on as my dogs are crazy about it when they find a little bit on the antlers that haves't been removed.

My understanding is that if the velvet is on the antlers it means that the antlers have had a blood supply and have had to have been cut off and haven't shed from the deer naturally and therefore have not hardened/calcified. I'm not sure how deer antler removal is done nor whether there is pain associated with the practice.

In fact, I'm not even sure if I am right. I'm going by something I read a good while ago.

I've had a deer antler for my boy for a few years. There's barely a dint in it. He's not into chewing things that are too hard, but I think this goes to the fact that his gums are sensitive as a result of his sensitivity to protein.

Edited by Erny

Velvet is the antler while it is still covered in "velvet", it is soft as it is growing, it become antler once it has rubbed. Velvet can sell for $300 per kg due to the medicinal and health properties, most venison farmers harvest velvet because bucks can be so dangerous and hurt each other. Deer shed their antlers annually, once the antler has rubbed there are no longer blood vessels and they can be sawn off painlessly. I have been told that the deer are sedated while the velvet is removed and they do not suffer side effects but I am going to the farm to see

This is my Charlie and what is considered velvet, this was taken 3 weeks ago

post-23033-0-75173100-1392528224_thumb.jpg

Edited by casowner

Rubbing, notice the velvet has split and is hanging on his face (this is last year)

post-23033-0-46509800-1392528342_thumb.jpg

and this years antlers, he rubbed 1 week ago

post-23033-0-85884600-1392528393_thumb.jpg

Up until the day before he rubbed Charlie was a handle able animal, the day he rubs he turns into an uber aggressive killing machine that charges fences when he sees me. Once he moults this year he will be getting castrated