Lost Staffordshire Terrier Puppy Makes It Home

Lasareina

Link to story

Lost Staffordshire Terrier puppy returned to Alice Springs after 700km South Australian outback adventure

By Robert Herrick and staff

A seven-month-old Staffordshire Terrier pup is back with her owners after an epic adventure deep into the South Australian outback.

The puppy, named Malibue, went missing on February 4 from her owner's home in Alice Springs.

Over the next 24 days, she somehow made her way 700km south, through Amoonguna and onto Amata, an Indigenous community in South Australia near the border.

Owner Brenton Chambers believes she may have jumped into a stranger's car.

He says a Facebook campaign - with dozens of people sharing Malibue's photo - made all the difference in bringing her home.

In a stroke of luck, tradesmen travelling to the community spotted her and raised the alarm.

"The workers were out at Amoonguna and spotted a dog that looked unusual, took a photo and sent me the pictures," Mr Chambers said.

"The police did awesome work. My mum, Jackie, Belinda, everyone who contributed - it's just awesome work getting my little flea bag back."

Mr Chambers says Malibue is a friendly animal who likes to get into cars.

"She just goes with the flow - it's a good trait that she just bounces off things, shakes it off," he said.

"But it's also a bad thing, just jumping in people's cars. I don't think she realises what she's done."

Mr Chambers's mother Gaynor Chambers said her son was "devastated" to have lost his best friend but pleased to have her back.

She thanked police in the Northern Territory and in South Australia in a post on Facebook.

Thank you NT Police and SA Police for such a great result in her search and rescue. How cute is that photo, hope she gets her own little police hat.

I did not think for one second the effect this little girl would have on our town when we purchased her, I thought she would just be a part of our lives not everyone else's.

Well done, Malibue, if you wanted attention sweetheart you certainly got that!

NT Police say they have never had such a huge response on social media to an investigation.

They say the discovery of Malibue in South Australia highlights the effectiveness of cross-border relations between the forces.