A Good Breed For Someone With Anxiety?

kiwifeathers

Hooray! Terri S, spot on!

I've been reading through and, given that Saint Bernards were in consideration, I cannot believe that no-one (until Terri) had recommended a Great Dane.

They come in black (think Hound of the Baskervilles lol), are not a really high drive breed, need only moderate exercise (especially when young). are generally aloof with strangers but quite focused on their own person/family and need very little in the way of fancy grooming. And they are GREAT cuddlers!

Considering the breeds purposes are involved largely with guarding and companionship I thought they would suit, as Raineth pointed out there are problems within the breed that you need to be careful for (anxiety and health) but I don't see why a well researched, healthy AND even tempered Dane would not suit the situation? (I admit I am no expert though)

I just found myself relating to the OP's friend alot in that I am a young female who is often alone and I don't feel comfortable in a lot of social situations and get worked up and paranoid easily(not quite social anxiety but at times and situations I can be quite bad) and I find my dog quite a good fit for me. I feel safe with her around, her energy needs are easy to manage, I don't have to put too much effort into grooming and most importantly she is the best companion, she loves to cuddle and stick by you and her presence is very soothing.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Anxiety disorders; i have one,you do not want a dog that is always on the go and in your face demanding attention.This may worsen the Anxiety.

Go for a breed that is calm and friendly,comes for a pat when you want then can relax nearby keeping you company but not following you around every minute.

Sounds like a greyhound

Rottie or black lab.

On average I'd say labs are slightly easier but there are some gorgeous rotties around. Labs generally need more exercise though- probably at least 1hr + per day and most will go all day if given the chance.

If she is a smaller person a lab might be easier to manage. A smaller dog is cheaper to feed (and labs don't need very much to maintain condition- they only have to look at food to put on weight lol), easier to lift in an emergency, easier to bath, take up less room on the bed (lol) etc.

They are also well suited as a first dog for most dog sports as they are so easy to train. They may not be the fastest or the most flashy but they are generally good steady dogs that are willing to please. I agree with others that say dog sports may be a less stressful hobby than showing. I've generally found people to be very supportive in the dog sports I participate in. There is always room for improvement in dog sports where as in showing if the dog is not show standard there's not a lot you can do...

As with all dogs, the right breeder is important in terms of health and temperament.

Good luck with deciding I know my black lab girl is an awesome companion and I'd definitely be lost without her. It's amazing when you have that special relationship with a dog :)

What about a ridgeback? mine is a cross (ridgeback x staffy) but he makes me feel very secure but has the most docile nature. Cuddles up to me like he is a little dog and is my constant companion. He will bark (a few barks, not yappy) if there is something "not right" but other than that he is quiet as (which is reassuring as I know with him sleeping beside me, he will alert me if needed so I can sleep soundly). (I have been told this is what pure bred ridgebacks are like.)

And he was well sociliased as a puppy so gets on well with other dogs, people and kids when we are out ... but he looks the part of a "protector" lol

Edited by Darcy2011