Nature Versus Nurture

tobie

You can't put genetics into your dog that aren't there, but you can influence, shape, mould etc what is there. If you fail to raise, train and manage your dog responsibly it can learn bad behaviour and develop behaviour problems regardless of genetics. That is why how we raise our dogs (nurture) and responsibly care for them is so important.

Genetics/nature are the foundation on which we can build everything else, but having good genetics isn't enough on its own to make a super dog.

We kept male and female littermates 10 yrs ago, totally different temperaments. They have both lived in the same house with us (and their mother) all of that time. The dog is so outgoing, works with me in the Responsible Pet Education program visiting schools and is a certified Pets as Therapy dog. The bitch likes our family and some friends, but she is very unhappy with strangers, to the point of urinating and cringing. How do you explain this, nature or nurture? Both were shown in the conformation ring and titled easily, neither have been bred from. Both parents have exceptionally good temperaments.

(posted by Marlene)

Different genes. Like the ugly and the goodlooking ones from the same litter. I'll bet it was an outcrossed mating.

Very much believe nature has a lot to answer for, I keep in regular contact with two of Gus's siblings, and get the odd update from two others and they have very similar quirks and habits. Not just breed traits, but mannerisms. Its funny to hear stories of three dogs seperated at 8 weeks, living in 3 different states in very different households having the same mannerisms and having his breeder pop in and say 'yes, their father does that too'

I'll work on some examples when I'm back at home. Quite funny!

Also, here's a few photos of Gus fetching on the first day we had him, less than 2 hours after hopping off the plane. Something he hadn't been taught to do in any way shape or form.

(Bonus points for being totally adorable, too!)

945268_10151637529354645_482923809_n.jpg

944210_10151637527699645_106506773_n.jpg

375680_10151637528694645_1114648023_n.jpg

954825_10151637526194645_420628200_n.jpg