How Do I Stop 10 Mth Lab Jumping

lovelabs

All Labs ( all dogs really) need training to live with humans - all humans need education to train their dog. Its worth the expense to get a trainer in to see what is happening and to address the problem. So hard to give advice when you cant see what the antecedent behaviour is. Have a look at the Nothing in Life is Free behavioural program it will help create leadership and elicit cooperative behaviour from your dog. But I would still get a trainer into your home so you can address the issues in your home environment.

Well we will keep working on it, will put a lot more work into the sit stays and see how we go, lucky she of course will do anything for food! I have to say she used to try and jump and pull towards people who were coming towards us when out walking on lead but I have worked really hard on making her stay in a heel which she nows does, so hopefully will get there with this too.

Welcome to living with Labs you manage to achieve in one area and another crops up that drives you nuts. :rofl:

All Labs ( all dogs really) need training to live with humans - all humans need education to train their dog. Its worth the expense to get a trainer in to see what is happening and to address the problem. So hard to give advice when you cant see what the antecedent behaviour is. Have a look at the Nothing in Life is Free behavioural program it will help create leadership and elicit cooperative behaviour from your dog. But I would still get a trainer into your home so you can address the issues in your home environment.

We need a LIKE button.

Wise words.

:thumbsup:

The thing I love about labs which is that they are so friendly to everyone and everything is also what at times drives me crazy. Couldn't imagine life without her though! Most of the time she is the perfect dog.

We will keep trying and hopefully get there in the end!

Oh and I would love to get a trainer in but my husband says they are too expensive. So its up to me to train her.

Edited by lovelabs

• 2 weeks later...

please don't think dog trainers are too expensive. most, you will find, will charge around $100~$150 for a consult with written plan. sooo worth the investment! sometimes having an 'outside' view of interactions makes all the difference.

good luck!

We mostly have young kids that visit us (preschool age) and we tell them that 'sitting is how puppies say please' and 'if he isn't sitting, he's being very rude, and we don't like to talk to rude people do we? So we'll ignore him until he asks nicely by sitting again'. It's a simpler message and they do tend to remember and relate to it. Of course you still need to control/train them but it helps the kids to understand

Considering it's the smaller kids who are the target, it might be an idea to focus on getting your dog in a drop stay for a meet & greet, not a sit. Lower to the ground is less frightening for little kids (at their level) & it's harder for your dog to move away from the drop.

My dog is older & quite calm, but I find doing this stops the littlies running away screaming, which is what is so enticing to young dogs.

Ok so when can I come and visit you ? I'd love a glass of wine :-)

quote name='The Spotted Devil' timestamp='1403092798' post='6506287']

This is how I approach it...

When the visitors arrive ensure the dog is away. Take this time to explain to your guests what you want them to do. Tell them they will get a glass of lemonade or wine (as appropriate!) for helping. Bring the dog out on leash. This is about giving the dog a choice so you do nothing but hold the end of the leash and anchor your hand at your waist. Use your core strength. Your visitor will approach the dog. The second the dog's front paws leave the ground your visitor is to turn their back and walk away. Rinse and repeat until the dog has 4 paws on the ground. Then the dog receives a pat but any jumping up sends the visitor away again. It is easier to demonstrate so I hope that makes sense :)