How Much Exercise/mental Stimulation Per Day?

Little Bear

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if the Australian Kelpie owners out there could give me an idea of what their day or week looks like in regards to amounts of exercise & training? info on what other forms of mental stimulation you give would be great too.

I know people say they need alot but I'm keen to find out how much alot is :)

If we were to get one it would be a family pet first with the hopes of also trying out some agility so if you're in a similar situation it would be great to hear how much exercise & training you do.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Little Bear

I do several small training sessions a day (less than 5 mins each) which include some of the following: tugging, recall and chase me games, body awareness games, self control games, agility practice. They also get a walk which includes another quick training session and some off lead running. Once a week they go to agility training and a couple of times a month we do agility competitions.

Mine are quite happy to be out every day with me training and hanging out. But they also survive when I am out working during the week and their main interaction is cuddles on the lounge. So long as you do lots of fun stuff outside then they soon learn that home is a place to relax and chill out.

I have treat toys, and hide food in different boxes and containers. And I am always encouraging them to do different behaviours for cuddles- sit, paw, drop etc so they get to think every day. I also do strength training with them a couple of times a week using wobble cushions etc so they are fit for agility/flyball which I can do at home.

Really depends on the animal. No matter the breed. Any working dog (or any dog for that matter) left to their own devices in the back yard all day and/or night is going to turn destructive if not given enough mental stimulation.

It also pays to research your breeder and what they are breeding for. Some who are breeding for high performance dogs may not be your first option if you are looking for a more placid type animal. Also, within each litter there will be those pups who are higher drive than some of its siblings.

A good breeder would be able to assist in helping you choose a pup that would best suit your lifestyle and circumstances. A good breeder would also be honest and not sell you a puppy if they do not have something that would suit and possibly direct you to other good breeders who may have something more suitable.

Thanks everyone for your replies,

I agree it probably does depend on the dog, I just wanted to get a rough idea (more for the physical exercise) if most people were talking 30min walk a day, 1 hour or 3 hours + that was all, info on kelpies seems to vary such alot!

We're still researching a few breeds so I might try posting some questions in their sub forums & hopefully soon we'll get to attend some shows :D

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Sorry LB. It really is "how long is a piece of string" kind of question.

Walking by itself may not be much. A walk can be as stimulating or as boring as you make it. It exercises the body somewhat, but it may not provide a lot of mental stimulation. Even if you walk the dog for an hour a day (say even half an hour in the morning and again in the evening) the dog is still at home for maybe 8 hours if you work full time. If there is nothing to keep the dog amused in this time, it can still do destructive behavour such as digging, barking etc.The dog still may need to have a job to do to be happy. It can also depend on how much time the family spends with the dog and the QUALTY of that time spent.

It really comes down the lines and breeding of the animal. Some lines are much higher drive than others and will naturally require a lot more stimulation than a pup from quieter lines or breeding. Even within a litter, there will be the high drive pup and one that is not so high drive. Some individual temperaments will be naturally more placid.

I had one border collie who if you showed her the couch she was happy. Leave her outside and she would bark the neighbours crazy. She was not a super huge active dog her self,but just required to be where the people were. She has produced two working farm dogs and two agility dogs.

I had another BC that was not happy unless she had a job. She now lives in an agility home and is doing fine. I have a niece of hers, and despite living on acerage, I dare say she will be the same. Super high drive and just doesnt stop. All these dogs are from a similar bloodline. I have a half sister to the agilty dog above (same sire) and both are very active dogs. yet the bitch I have, is just as happy to be your constant shadow.

Edit: if you are looking at a kelpie, try talking to some kelpie breeders whom you are possibly looking at getting a pup from. they would be able to first tell you if their stuff is suitable to your lifestyle and secondly give you a really good insight to the breed. Good breeders have no issue talking and giving the ins and out of their breed to newbies. they would rather you do it now, than make the mistake later of realising a kelpie or any other breed is not working

Edited by Mystiqview

Just like to say that I think it is great you are really checking out what type of dog you are thinking of getting.

I have a 2yo working kelpie that I brought as a third dog to compete in agility with as my two little ones were getting older.

I did think long and hard about buying a working kelpie and also about if it would be easier to buy a show or "bench" kelpie.

I work full time different shifts but she gets exercise every day. Some walking with the little ones for 30 mins to 1 hr. A bike ride for 30 mins or some agility training. Just walking alone does nothing to wear her out btw. She goes to agility training twice a week and if I am mean, obedience on Sat. She either goes sheep herding or competes in agility each weekend.

There are a lot of fantastic dogs that would be very successful at agility without the exercise or work needed for a kelpie. And be good family pets too.

As it has been pointed out there are differences within the breed too. I have seen a lot of differences in the kelpies I meet, between the farm bred kelpies, the pure working ones and the show lines. I must admit I love the look of the show kelpies and that might be what I choose next time if I went with a kelpie again.

Keep looking and I hope you find the perfect dog to fit in with you and your family. I found it hard to choose a dog myself as there are so many lovely breeds.

Thanks Skip that was very helpful,

I think I probably should have put a bit about us in the original post :) I think I'll start another one & put more about us & ask for some breed suggestions, I'd love a kelpie but someone might suggest a breed I hadn't thought about

Thanks again to everyone

I think the real answer is basically .. as much as you're willing to do. My Sibe is perfectly content with a brisk walk around the block or esplanade in the evenings, a few games in the yard, and will just lounge around most of the day. If I'm going out I give him a bone or some other food thing he can go to chew on, which keeps him occupied for majority of the day, as a result he doesn't jump the fence, he doesn't bark, he seldom digs holes, and his destruction extends to a $12 sprinkler I left laying in the garden. However, some other people will say that huskies need to be running 24/7 to be happy, and will tear up your yard, destroy your house and jump fences unless you go for a 5 hour run every day. It depends so much more on the personality of the individual puppy than breed characteristics IMO. You could get a dog that's jumping off the walls constantly, or one that's happy to lounge around. If you have a preference there's a good chance the breeder will have a rough idea which puppies are more active than others (of course you have to be weary of health issues too).

Edited by Things