Breed Suggestions For A Young Family

Little Bear

My Cavs jump on everyone with excitement when they meet them. Not everyone appreciates the greeting. I had the Lappie at a soccer game on the weekend. She loves kids. There was a little girl beside us who wanted to pat her but just couldn't bring herself to. Her dad encouraged her and I showed her some of Viennas tricks but she still couldn't do it. After several minutes Vienna just went over and lay down in front of her. The girl reached down and stroked her. It was very sweet. I've never had a dog like her with young children. She just seems to understand them :)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Cavs jump on everyone with excitement when they meet them. Not everyone appreciates the greeting. I had the Lappie at a soccer game on the weekend. She loves kids. There was a little girl beside us who wanted to pat her but just couldn't bring herself to. Her dad encouraged her and I showed her some of Viennas tricks but she still couldn't do it. After several minutes Vienna just went over and lay down in front of her. The girl reached down and stroked her. It was very sweet. I've never had a dog like her with young children. She just seems to understand them :)

Aww, it's so lovely when things like that happen :)

You've got a lot of the same breeds on your short list as mine was, so I'm going to throw another suggestion out there; The Cardigan Corgi (Welsh Corgi Cardigan in breed lists). Sturdy, medium sized with short legs, bred to be all round farm and family dogs. Mine do obedience, agility and dances with dogs competitively, and with success. Their coat is very easy care, but they do shed a LOT at change of season.

There are a couple of good breeders in South Australia too, with Kalora and Afonwen both producing lovely dogs (although neither are frequent breeders).