Melanoma In Dogs

Young Kate - who is 13/14 years old - earned herself a trip to the vet on Saturday with a change in skin spot -over 4 weeks its gone from a watermark stain to pitch black with a little nodule in the centre.

The vet just rang back - melanoma. Its in an easy to reach position, on the inside of the hind leg and I think it should be easy to remove. And assuming melanoma in dogs is the same in humans - I am starting to seriously freak out (should I mention that I work in cancer research?)

Given Kate's age, I'm thinking things (ie research) overnight, but probably we'll take her in on thursday for a good pre-op examination, and if that clears her to go for an anaesthetic, then she'll go for surgery on friday. Thank god I have overaccumlated leave!

Vet said "good catch", it's still that small. Doesn't every one check their elderly dogs?

Does anyone have any experience with melanomas in dogs? Hopefully good ones? Please?

Lots of people are looking, so here is what I have learnt:

- melanoma in canine mouth and toes is very very bad news.

- melanoma on the skin otherwise is 80% melanocytoma, which is a non-malignant form, with the other 20% being malignant.

- in dogs, as in humans, melanoma is resistant to chemotherapy, and radiotherapy is a control mechanism.

- best bet for cure is surgery to an early stage melanoma.

Fortunately for Kate, it currently looks as though we've caught it early (which means I am hopeful for a good outcome).

Well, Kate has had her operation - which went very well. Charmed the pants of the vet staff (typical Irish Terrier). The bad news is that they found three lumps, all of which were removed. We are now waiting to see what the path report says, and I am trying not to panic, given that in humans, finding three lumps close together when melanoma is suspected is what is called a bad prognostic indicator. Otherwise - given that these three lumps were just above the hock on the inside of the leg - Kate shows no signs of remembering that she has stiches in. Which is good, as it means I don't have to put the elizabethan collar on her (I don't think it would go well with doggy doors, or with Duke!)

Mind you, getting the antibiotic tablets down here is a whole different type of fun! I am determined, she is having the full course!!

Well, the pathology is back. Kate has had 3 separate melanomas removed, the good news being that all margins are clear. (which means, no identifable tumour left behind.)

The vet staff tell me that with clear margins, the outlook is good (well, yeah, it is for most cancers). It's a worry that two of these have sprung up in the space of 5 days, but it's now a matter of keeping an eye out for any more of these. I think that we've given Kate the best chance she has to hopefully die of an advanced, disgracefully cheeky old age and she's been told No More Lumps!!