Hip And Elbow Scores?

Amax-1

A couple of threads talking about papers and registration has prompted me to ask this question that recently popped up in conversation:

Someone told me through Dogs NSW referring to GSD breedings, that providing parents have been hip and elbow scored, the progeny is registerable, doesn't matter what the scores are as long as they have been x-rayed and scored, meaning a dog with high scores for example a 18-24 hip and 4-4 elbow are acceptable parentage for puppy registration? I had the impression that anything exceeding a 12-12 hip and 2-2 elbow was rejected by the registry as an unhealthy parent and pups to such dogs of high score couldn't be registered?

Someone called Dogs Vic a couple of years ago to check if one of my males was scored (dog was still registered in Vic at that stage), they told them he was scored but wouldn't announce the scores?

Edited by Amax-1

I'm not a GSD person but I remember asking a friend who breeds them about this .She said ANKC only require that they actually score but as German Shepherd Dog Club member and to abide by their rule their rules for listing litters there are score restrictions with a maximum combined score of sire and dam and no single hip over a certain score. I can't remember what the actual numbers were though. I think elbows it was a total of 4 with nothing over a 2 but I could be well off with that.

As for DogsVic not giving out scores - that doesn't surprise me at all due to issues around confidentiality. All they need to say is someone has met the requirements to register a litter. It is up to the breeder to give specific information out to those that require it.

There are a few breeds where the ANKC require that the sire and dam be hip/elbow x-rayed and scored - rottweilers are another breed that have this restriction. In fact, I have to take Nova's paperwork into TasDogs tomorrow to get them to record it, in anticipation of her litter.

You're correct, as far as the ANKC is concerned (and I understand this to be an across the board ANKC ruling, rather than just an individual state one), the scores themselves don't matter, just that the dogs has been scored.

As far as restrictions on actual scores go, that would come down to breed club level. For us, we have the National Rottweiler Council (Australia), which dictates that maximum scores that rottweiler breed club members can breed with.