Puppy School/obedience Training Recommendations

KatherineMH

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend an obedience club in Melbourne's west. I live in Yarraville, but am willing to drive a little way if it's worth it! I have an 8 week old female Labrador pup. I'm really hoping for a place that offers training on weekends. I have seen a few attached to vet clinics as well as a pet store in Maribyrnong, however I've heard/read that a club is a cheaper option, as well as being a wealth of knowledge.

I have done a bit of research on Altona Obedience (review seemed quite negative) and Northern Obedience (which were positive) however these reviews were a couple of years old. I'd love some more recent updates!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Katherine

Puppy School... Jean's Puppy Preschool. There are a couple of locations. They are a little bit from Yarraville, but I would be tempted to drive from the other side of town to these ones (especially compared to others I've seen/heard about). I do know of another one that may be closer to you, will find out the name if I can!

Obedience - Werribee gets a good rap from the people I know who have been there. If you're prepared to drive, Keilor Obedience Dog Training Centre which is in Niddrie.

I went to the one in Maribyrnong but I wouldn't recommend it for a lab pup, most other puppies are usually smaller breeds so a lot of the bigger puppies pushed them around, everyone got highly aroused because they had offleash play time a bit too much for my liking and it opened up a pathway for my puppy having a very high value for other dogs and the area reserved for the class is tiny. I haven't been there but Jean's puppy school was recommended to me by many and their approach to puppy school sounds very good (unfortunately there were no free spaces when I got my puppy).

After puppy school I attended Keilor Obedience club and I liked it when we started but I'm now thinking of changing clubs and will be checking out Northern Obedience Club tonight. My reasons for wanting to change are more due to travel and training times but it also doesn't seem like the right fit for us. It is a fun and diverse club with lots of puppies though, definitely a good club worth checking out.

Werribee also gets highly praised and I would probably go there if it were closer to me.

Edited by Terri S.

I have a school in North Geelong on Saturday afternoons if that is not too far. I have clients that drive from further ;)

Puppies start after second vaccine in classes, one on one lesson can start any time

I have a school in North Geelong on Saturday afternoons if that is not too far. I have clients that drive from further ;)

Puppies start after second vaccine in classes, one on one lesson can start any time

I can highly recommend and vouch for Nekhbet :)

Loose Lead Pets in west footscray are great, as is the puppy school run out of Yarraville Village animal hospital (they work in conjunction with Hairy Hounds) for puppy school.

I live in Newport and go to Northern obedience. As with all volunteer clubs some instructors are better than others but stick it out and you'll have fun!

Might see you there!