My New Enrichment Garden

leec

Thank you all so much.

I'm really not sure Chelsea is a determined 'digger' but I do know she isn't very fond of water, I'm happy to buy her a pool all of her own and fill it with sand and toys tho :)

Rain, oh golly, what is that stuff. It will only get dryer here for a while yet. Poor Chadley has his contact allergies back again, it happens when the grasses start to dry off. Our average rainfall for the year is only about 350mls!! Good for my horse tho :)

Looks great Leec! Hopefully your staffies will enjoy their clam shell pool/sandpit and not chew it into a million pieces like my two did :-/

You have successfully made me feel very lazy slash incompetent for considering buying kit fence panels for a dog run re-purposed into a chicken coop :laugh: i think your fence building skills might far outstrip mine some how :)

Oh dear, I think I need to come clean, I didn't mean for you folks to think I had built this fence!! :rofl:

It has been professionally made by a fencer, but with a couple of things changed/added/re-designed by me and OH. Geez, wish I could fence like that, would be a hellova lot cheaper :laugh:

Thank you all so much.

I'm really not sure Chelsea is a determined 'digger' but I do know she isn't very fond of water, I'm happy to buy her a pool all of her own and fill it with sand and toys tho :)

Rain, oh golly, what is that stuff. It will only get dryer here for a while yet. Poor Chadley has his contact allergies back again, it happens when the grasses start to dry off. Our average rainfall for the year is only about 350mls!! Good for my horse tho :)

Zig has a contact allergy to grass at our obedience training ground - I put sorbelene cream on his tummy and give him a polaramine tablet before we go and it seems to have 'fixed' the problem of him ending up itchy.

My old SBT used to have a polaramine tablet every day for histamine release.

There are plenty of other antihistamines on the market that work if you need them.

Good luck, allergies are hard to get on top of sometimes.

Oh there is carpet, blankies and cushie padded pillows in the cubby for their relaxation and pleasure (I have no doubt that nothing will last very long)!

Yes, for a couple of rescue puppies they sure have been adding up the $$$$.

Thank you all so much.

Zig has a contact allergy to grass at our obedience training ground - I put sorbelene cream on his tummy and give him a polaramine tablet before we go and it seems to have 'fixed' the problem of him ending up itchy.

My old SBT used to have a polaramine tablet every day for histamine release.

There are plenty of other antihistamines on the market that work if you need them.

Good luck, allergies are hard to get on top of sometimes.

I have Chadley on the steroid spray that you use every couple of days (I have totally forgotten the name of it).

I'm not entirely happy with how he is going but I figure it is better than the actual steroid tablets every couple of days.

Would you believe that an actual antihistamine tablet is better for the itch but also better for long term use in dogs???

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Personally I think it is but you could use both together if it is really bad.

My old SBT had mast cell cancer and one of the problems was histamine release by the tumours - giving him an anithistamine a day kept it completely under control.

Zig's isn't really bad and it only happens if he lays in the grass at obedience - so using the sorbelene cream as a barrier and giving the antihistamine works fine for us.

Erny (member on here) has a thread in the health section for using Calendula tea on itchy skin.

I have recommended it to heaps of people and they all rave about it - so it must be good. If you want a more natural approach to treating the itchy skin.

Sadly some dogs react to all sorts of things and the only thing we can do is treat the symptoms when they happen.

Thanks staffyluv. He's not 'really bad' just gets the itches and chews on his feet. I don't like the steroid tabs as they have long term side effects, that's why I thought I'd try the spray, but he still chews his feet! Sometimes I think it might be habit, its most certainly more prominent at certain times of the day.

I have got som calendular tea from Ernie and it does help but I can't douse him in it constantly throughout the day unfortunately.

Thanks for the info though, I'll look into it :)

BTW, my last girl succumbed to mast cell tumours, broke my heart :(

Thanks staffyluv. He's not 'really bad' just gets the itches and chews on his feet. I don't like the steroid tabs as they have long term side effects, that's why I thought I'd try the spray, but he still chews his feet! Sometimes I think it might be habit, its most certainly more prominent at certain times of the day.

I have got som calendular tea from Ernie and it does help but I can't douse him in it constantly throughout the day unfortunately.

Thanks for the info though, I'll look into it :)

BTW, my last girl succumbed to mast cell tumours, broke my heart :(

It is a horrible disease.

Good luck with the itchies, I hope you get it sorted.