Recommendations For A Behaviouralist In Melbourne.

Malakita

A work friend was asking about my dogs and training. But as I asked more questions, it sounds like she needs a behaviouralist.

The dog is a 6 year old Terrier mix she got from Animal Aid. Kalley (the dog) was 2 when she was adopted and had been abused. I didn't ask for details. My friend also has another dog (of similiar size and a male). He is 15 and stills runs around with Kalley. They are both outside dogs, never house trained to be inside dogs.

Kalley is obedience trained. Does the sit,drop,stay,come,wait for food etc. So the obedience part isn't the issue. But now that Buddy (the boy) is 15, she is worried about how Kalley will be if Buddy passes. Not that he is going anytime soon but he wont live forever she said.

Kalley has very bad separation anxiety. When Buddy is inside getting a bath, Kalley runs around the yard screaming for Buddy. She really carries on. And when they come together again, Kalley sits on Buddy and licks him and acts like they have been separated for a lifetime.

Kalley also is "socially awkward". She is not aggressive when she meets other dogs. She just stares at them face on. She doesn't like other dogs sniffing her butt. So when the other dogs get bored of looking at her, they move on. Then Kalley wants to run after them and still say hi. But then she will do her 'stare' again. She doesn't have good social manners I am told. It is like she doesn't know what to do when she meets another dog.

She doesn't want to tell Kalley off for being socially inept, she wants to correct the behaviours displayed but doesn't know how. She wants her to know meeting other dogs the right way is good but Kalley is slouchy and tail between the legs. She wants positive reinforcement to help Kalley overcome her really bad anxiety and become more confident when greeting other dogs.

So I said I would ask here if anyone had any recommendations for possibly a behaviouralist in Melbourne. My friend lives in Croydon South. If more info is needed, please let me know.