Innotek Dog Collars

Guest afton

afton we do agree on this one I've felt a zap from a collar on full and it hurts without doubt.

Did it cause damage or longterm harm?

I don't think so but my psychiatrist may disagree. :rolleyes:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest afton

With the dogs going for livestock I'd ensure they are in an escape proof yard and taken for lots of walks as it starts off as a game and a lot of work on a long lead eg. venetian cord so the dog thinks it's loose but is under control so that it learns to obey you even when it thinks it's off lead. A good method when an animal is chasing something if it's properly trained is a loud "NO" and "DR0P" or "DOWN" but all the basic ground work for obedience and doing as you tell it imediately off lead need to be properly instilled first through Praise, Patience, Practice, Patience (atm forget the other P in Obedience Instructing lol).

Afton

Ok...agree to disagree...but i have felt the zap of my dogs collar...at it's highest setting and it's lowest and what it is currently set at...i wanted to know what it would do to my dog as i had heard all the horror stories. I tensed up all expecting something nasty...and it was nothing of the sort...i'd not appreciate the highest setting very much but the others weren't worth worrying about.

Em & Taco - Were they given any training on the use of the collar? if the dog isn't taught what it is being reprimanded for then how is it to know? with the fence collars the dogs are taught to back away when they hear the beep...hence no reprimand unless they push the issue further. The use of the collars etc decide the result...if used properly good result, if not used properly...bad result.

With the dogs going for livestock I'd ensure they are in an escape proof yard and taken for lots of walks as it starts off as a game and a lot of work on a long lead eg. venetian cord so the dog thinks it's loose but is under control so that it learns to obey you even when it thinks it's off lead. A good method when an animal is chasing something if it's properly trained is a loud "NO" and "DR0P" or "DOWN" but all the basic ground work for obedience and doing as you tell it imediately off lead need to be properly instilled first through Praise, Patience, Practice, Patience (atm forget the other P in Obedience Instructing lol).

Afton

Ok...my dog wasn't going after stock...he was just heading out on the town :rolleyes:

But he was in a secure yard (not secure enough apparently), he went for lots of walks including obedience training, he is fine off lead, you can tell him to drop at a distance and he will. Only problem is i wasn't outside with him...having to work to support him and the other animals in my household...and needing sleep occasionally.

The fence works when you are not there, when you are there it's unlikely the dog will try to get out. And most people cannot be with their dogs 24/7 as much as we might like to be.

Urban...perhaps i tried a diff collar or have a diff pain tolerance.. :confused:

With the dogs going for livestock I'd ensure they are in an escape proof yard

Can anyone think of a method to not only make your yard escape proof but also modify the dogs way of thinking so that escaping is no longer seen as a deirable thing to do? It would need to be reasonably affordable, portable as I rent my house and be effective when I'm not home as thats when the little bugger tends to nick off chasing sheep.

Yeah I know, I'm a smartarse but I'm home with the flu and I'm getting stir crazy.

Urban...perhaps i tried a diff collar or have a diff pain tolerance.. :rolleyes:

If you think mossie bites hurt then you had a different collar, if you don't think they hurt then you are way tougher than me. :strong:

Guest afton

Kit Kat,

Is your dog the one that goes under the fence and not even the chicken type wire on the ground has helped?

Have you tried putting the dog in a dog pen or on a chain while you are at work or asleep (I know this itself can cause barking etc from boredom or not being use to the confinement)? and letting him have a run around for the rest of the time while you are there?

Is he the only dog? (as he may be after companionship).

I'm not an expert (don't claim to be) but will genuinely try and help if I can. Have you spoken with dog behaviouralists?

Kind Regards,

Afton

With the dogs going for livestock I'd ensure they are in an escape proof yard and taken for lots of walks

Her yard is as "escape proof" as i can make it but ruby being ruby finds her way out, she can clear fences like never before!

obedience wise- she is an ex-show dog and obedience is great but she just loves getting out, its her hobby!

so walking her every day, giving her obedience and her being in a what i call "escape proof" yard still wont stop her jumping out.

it has been 9 years and no cure, but i just learn to live with it now and find my way around it.

afton i may be butting in but,(lol funny sentence)

ruby has been in a run, she digs under , gets bored and barks, slips her collar, and also tries to slip it so much she nearlly choked herself one day so we said bye bye to that idea,

also she has bonnie to keep her company, but when ruby goes bonnie follows and then its "double trouble"

just sharing my experiences

Guest afton

If the pen isn't too big perhaps the area you lock her in needs a cement floor or wire around the edge as described by another poster so when she tried to dig hits the wire instead.

Just a suggestion

Afton

Is your dog the one that goes under the fence and not even the chicken type wire on the ground has helped?

Yup

Have you tried putting the dog in a dog pen or on a chain while you are at work or asleep (I know this itself can cause barking etc from boredom or not being use to the confinement)?

He was on a chain after he escaped the 3rd time. i then spent oodles on some extra fencing and within 20 minutes of letting him off he was out. So back on the chain he went. This wasn't fair on him as far as i was concerned...we have a lovely big yard, and to me chaining him up all the time wasn't a suitable solution. Penning would cost more then i was willing to pay since i rent and any decent sized my-dog-proof pen would not be something i could take with me...nor am i likely to get permission to build it from my landlord.

Is he the only dog? (as he may be after companionship).

He had been the only dog...now we have a GSD pup as well...Harm would escape into the front yard to have some quiet time away from the pup :rolleyes: I put in fences to separate the front yard form the back, one side he nearly hanged himself from while trying to escape into the front yard is now zappy, the gate side isn't and he would get under it to get into the front...and away from the pup.

I'm not an expert (don't claim to be) but will genuinely try and help if I can.

I honestly thank you for your concern...but i am happy with the solution i have.

Have you spoken with dog behaviouralists?

I have been told that he is an escape artist and enjoys the challenge, it was actually from a behaviourist that i first heard about the 'invisable fence'.

obedience is great but she just loves getting out, its her hobby!

AbzndBonnie i think your girl needs to meet up with my boy...seems they have a lot in common (except the show dog bit...lmao...doesn't seem to worry any of the other dogs that adore my Harm tho...lol)

Stella is a very brave girl and she yelps. Solly is a SOOK and he doesn't. There's no point checking how the coollar works on human skin because of different conductivity and different sensitivity. It only matters how this particular dog reacts.

I can touch electric fences and don't find them hurting badly.

The collar is supposed to be on dog no more than 8 hours (by instructions). We take them off if dogs stay mostly inside, in the evening or on weekends.

kit kat :rolleyes:

i seriously concidered renaming her hudini..the amount of money we have spent on fencing is unbelievable.

We used to own an acre(where she rounded the sheep up :confused: ) and we re fenced the whole fence twice, overlapped it and overlapped it because her and bonnie were getting through the fence holes! .. but nope over she goes! oh and under bonnie goes! .. i was happy when we moved, but not happy when she decided to jump out of the next house! and we are renting all of the houses we are in so we cant do much at the moment but what we are doing now :cry:

hopefully i will find a solution soon when we buy our own house,

maybe ur dog can come move in kit kat :confused:

Can anyone think of a method to not only make your yard escape proof but also modify the dogs way of thinking so that escaping is no longer seen as a deirable thing to do?

My dog is interested in two major things: playing with dogs and running famous 25 km. Can't provide.

ahh Kit Kat we are again such bad mothers.... thank god venetian blinds don't 'zap' us each time we take a gander out of them.

NO NO I must stop typing right now and not get inlvolved. If you don't like what is on TV turn the thing off. If you don't like Mc Donalds, don't buy it BUT I will keep using my Innotek collar as my rotty has proven again this week that he loves eathng fence palings!

Thank gosh to the RSPCA does not rule our lives too.

Afton... just don't buy one if they upset you that much!

:rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

Well...that's one of the beautiful things about the invisable fences...they are good for renters as they can be taken with you when you move. I won't get back the large some of money it cost to put the side fences in....but i spent a large amount of money on the invisable fence but i can take it with me :cry: It was another reason why i considered it.