Breeder Concerns - Desexing At 8 Weeks

Kokoro

Is it usual for breeders to desex pups prior to sending them to their new homes at 8 weeks? I understand the concern of pups being bred from against breeders wishes but to me 8 weeks seems very young and perhaps not in the best interest of the pup. I am no expert, just a humble pet owner. Should I avoid this breeder or is this acceptable practice?

NO

There is too much scientific research which suggests juvenile desexing is not good, and early desexing leads to very poor coats. I don't think most experienced Cocker breeders do juvenile desexing.

I know cocker pups are difficult to find in SA, but I would look elsewhere, rather than have the problems which early desexing will bring.

I don't breed many Cocker pups, but I encourage my pet buyers not to desex until 9 - 12 months old.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But nature also ensures animals mate every season, which changes the hormone balance. And a lot of animals die very young in the wild, the domestic cat being a classic case study.

(Just playing devils advocate - I have an entire dog and entire bitch).

I understand, TSD. I often play "devils advocate" as well - it's a good way to think (and get others to think) from the other direction. If they could say that the hormone balance needs to right itself by letting it go (so to speak) each season and that can prove to be the make or break to avoiding other medical issues, then maybe there's a clinic niche void open for the taking??? "Hands On Health" could be a good name? (ooooh .... copyright that one to me, should my jest actually be the foundation to a mega-market fortune) ;)

Edited by Erny