Does Anyone Have A Dog With Ibd

sueang

Does anyone have a dog that suffers from IBD & has more stomach problems (relux, heartburn, swollowing) & small bowel?? if so, what medications is your dog on & what foods?

Edited by sueang

Hi Sueang - did you see my reply to your previous post?

Sueang - would slippery elm be of any use? Maybe try some slippery elm powder mixed in with some goat/sheep yoghurt just before bed? I used a 'slippery elm cocktail' when Louis was on a lot of drugs last year for a particular illness.

http://community.dog.com/health/diseases_az/f/29482/p/90432/915667.aspx

Slippery elm, on its own, is a gut protectant and anti-inflammatory (and an anti-inflammatory that won't fight with anything and doesn't cause problems). It is - in my holistic vet's words -- "sort of like silicone in how it sorta slides down and coats".

The aloe, chlorophyl and probiotic combine with the slippery elm to literally HEAL a sore stomach (human or dog). So it's one of those things you keep the ingredients on hand so you can dive in with it when you need it. At one point in the "later days" after the drugs had begun to ravage his gut, he was on this for months. But if Taz is showing some gut upset you can surely use it with the Pepcid with no problem.

The aloe juice is just 100% drinkable aloe from the health store. Many health stores carry "slippery elm tea" - that IS ground slippery elm bark without having to dump capsules. It's also often sold in bunk in places like Whole Foods. Acidopholus is in the refrigerator case in a health store. Chlorophyl can be a pain to find and usually you have to buy a pint of it (to get like a few drops?? *sigh*). I bought it online last time I got it.

1 -- half a cup of boiling water.

2 -- add 1 rounded tsp. of ground slippery elm

3 -- let cool totally

4 -- add 1/8 c. + 2 tablespoons of aloe juice

5 -- add 10 drops of chlorophyll

6 -- Add 2-3 capsules (open the caps) of acidolpholus

Once you get it mixed up and whipped smooth, it keeps in the fridge for 3-4 days (after that the acidopholous dies).

Use a baby medicine syringe and load it FULL. Give about half an hour before a meal. Just put the tip of the syringe behind the canine tooth and hold the mouth loosely closed. Squirt slowly so they can work their tongue to swallow.