Neighbours Reactive Rescue Dog

kelp

this will out me as a relatively new dog owner, but i am always saddened when i read about dogs that are attacked or have a traumatic experience being forever changed in their dealings with other dogs. some have only one incident but are forever changed. : :( are there any statsitics about on the prevelance of this?

with OSS's above story of the rescue dobe, which behaved fantastically for 12 months before reverting to its former aggresive behaviour is also very sad. what hope do those who are not experts have? Is there a thread about good news stories for behavioural issues?

Hankdog, the 101 things with a box. yes! great suggestion! we can do that. my littlest child seems to have a mind like a dog's, and always explains to me the dog's reasoning for doing things a certain way (eg, tchild ressons that the dog reasons that jumping up gets you treats when you eventually sit down...). so your explaination about why a dog may bark also makes perfect sense to my child. :)

the dogs are continuing to heal nicely and are scampering sround. I was watching a dog language DVD the vet lent me today and i let the dogs watch the section on appeasing/calming body language. just so they can see some nice friendly dogs in a safe environment... my dogs just turned their backs on the dogs on the screen, and went to sleep. :D (we have watched a few movies /video clips with dogs in them and our dogs have tended to bark anxiusly).

Haha when I first got Jake I ran "hotel for dogs" for about three days straight. Funny mutt that he is he does watch and bark at the tv.

If your kids understand then watch out they might be training you! After all the training stuff I've read I actually think I would be a far more effective parent than I was. My kids understood how to train me way better than I did them.

Edited by hankdog

The Dobe I speak of was seriously challenged, born with a major temperament flaw then owned by am imbicile. Unfortunately The damaged he managed to do in around a year was irreversable.

Many dogs are helped and trained every day with their caring, loving owners, a good trainer/behaviouist and support. Your boy is not in the realms of the Dobe.

Yes, I think most dogs can be rehabilitated after an incident or poor upbringing (for lack of a better term) with the right knowledge and commitment from the owner/carer. However I do believe there are some that are born with major temp issues.

I've seen a number of puppies between 6 & 8ish weeks old snap into SERIOUS aggression towards humans in certain circumstances and there's just no way they could have learned that behaviour at that young age, it's in them.

I've worked for months at a time with several dogs that after a bit of work were fine with me within the shelter environment they'd become used to and ok interacting with others as long as I was there controlling the interaction. Once they bonded with me I would have trusted them not to hurt ME no matter what I did to them and to take my lead as long as I had complete control of a situation but they weren't safe in circumstances other than that. They were just too far gone. They are the hardest PTS decisions. where you've seen so much progress and seen the good side of the dog, but you have to be honest with yourself in that you cannot control everything in real life.

Sounds like the neighbour's attacking dog and the Doberman OsS spoke of are/were in that category and unfortunately were rehomed anyway :(

Most dogs aren't though and are amazingly resilient with the right help :)

Edited by Simply Grand

I've worked for months at a time with several dogs that after a bit of work were fine with me within the shelter environment they'd become used to and ok interacting with others as long as I was there controlling the interaction. Once they bonded with me I would have trusted them not to hurt ME no matter what I did to them and to take my lead as long as I had complete control of a situation but they weren't safe in circumstances other than that. They were just too far gone. They are the hardest PTS decisions. where you've seen so much progress and seen the good side of the dog, but you have to be honest with yourself in that you cannot control everything in real life.

I've been in the same situation a few times myself... and you are right, they are the hardest ones to send to God... but they just wouldn't have been safe to rehome, and you can't keep a dog in a shelter environment forever.

Rescue has a responsibility to the community as well as to the animals they "save"...

T.