Dog Doors

cowanbree

Another dog door has met a sad end here so I would appreciate a recommendation for one that is a bit sturdier and able to meet the needs of my busy household

It is for a wooden door and has to be big enough and sturdy enough to cope with very rough Australian Shepherd but also lightweight enough for my shelties and a 3kg cat to use. The current Dogmate one has a plastic see through flap which is great but it does not hold up very well and is constantly being broken or flipped out of the bracket by dogs racing through it at high speeds. It also doesn’t lock overly well and my aussie easily opens it.

Any suggestions would be great especially if you know where I can buy them at a reasonable price.

We had the same issue with the plastic flap so replaced it with a piece of rubber backed outdoor matting from Bunnings. It's not the most attractive but it's light enough not to impede the dogs getting through but it's heavy enough to stray down blocking the opening. 045fc92612cd0216640fe6f376b951b0.jpg

I am putting one of these in at my new place.

It has a aluminium frame and a PVC flap. Hopefully FHRP's GSP won't break this one!!

Have you actually seen one in the flesh? The flap looks almost material like? The security barrier for lock it, does it just click into place? That is what the Dogmate one is like and Nova pulls it off and opens the door

We had the same issue with the plastic flap so replaced it with a piece of rubber backed outdoor matting from Bunnings. It's not the most attractive but it's light enough not to impede the dogs getting through but it's heavy enough to stray down blocking the opening. 045fc92612cd0216640fe6f376b951b0.jpg

I have tried something similar but it didn't last sadly.

I am putting one of these in at my new place.

It has a aluminium frame and a PVC flap. Hopefully FHRP's GSP won't break this one!!

Have you actually seen one in the flesh? The flap looks almost material like? The security barrier for lock it, does it just click into place? That is what the Dogmate one is like and Nova pulls it off and opens the door

I will tell you in a week. The flap is PVC.

Thanks, will wait to hear. Really want to get the right one and this could be a good half way between the dogmate one and the really expensive one.

Actually just read the reviews and they say it doesn't cope with windy conditions and the magnet is constantly blown open. Will be interested to hear how you like it

Edited by cowanbree

I know westiemum but the truth is if I knew it would work and last the distance I would buy it as I am constantly replacing flaps and now the entire door of the cheaper ones. Would probably work out cheaper in the long run.

Actually I take your point. I have a dog mate door which even old Maccles manages to haul himself through with his wonky back legs - but all mine are smaller and older and don't race through it - so its standing up pretty well.