Virus Shedding After Vaccination?

Ok -

discussing vaccinations etc ..

does virus shedding occur? or not?

using a 'live' vaccine how much virus shedding is there ?

is the parvovirus shedding capable of infecting vulnerable/ non vaccinated pups/dogs?

I have been given several differing opinions - and am interested in just what does happen ?

Thanks.

Edited by persephone

The attenuated (non-disease-causing) modified-live virus of some CPV vaccines replicates in the intestine and can be temporarily shed in the feces. Some owners mistakenly think this means the animal is shedding infective parvovirus after vaccination. This is not true. There has never been a documented case of a modified-live vaccine reverting to virulence (the disease-causing form), either in controlled vaccine studies or from field examinations of vaccinated dogs that have subsequently developed CPV infection.

http://www.borzoiclubofamerica.org/health/parvo.html

I doubt there is any risk, to be honest.

I thought all vets used killed virus now ?

Why use live anyway ?

I think with cats, because the vaccine is for more for flu type viruses, that there may be more likelihood of this but am not sure of actual fact.

It is reported to be detected on faecal CPV tests after vaccinations but in my experience, Pups that I have run tests on who have been displaying clinical signs AND have been recently vaccinated are usually positive due to parvovirus. The shedding is usually transient and generally results in a weak positive.