Avagoodweegend, Folks.come Back - It's Fixed Now ..

persephone

so it's a cute ad that encompasses everything we wish the public would not do when choosing a puppy...

and finishes by promoting puppy chow - which according to the checkout - may or may not be suitable as a dog food let alone a puppy food, because it's not called "complete and balanced".

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-puppy-chow/

So I guess I would re-write the ad somewhat...

He goes to a breed club social event - and meets lots of breeders, gets along really well with one or two of them... and waits patiently for puppies...

then there is a beautiful litter of pedigree puppies, and he gets lots of advice and a puppy instruction pack from the breeder... and a week's supply of what the breeder has been feeding the puppy with instructions about where to get more and what to transition, and puppy training opportunities...

And when the puppy eats his model farm... he rings the breeder for advice at 3am (ok maybe not that bit?)...

I can't believe the puppy didn't have an accident on the couch...

Sorry Persephone - I can't help it.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Well, it is an ad for Purina Puppy Chow, so it's hardly going to finish by promoting anything else.

It did say "adoption drive today", not "pet shop with puppies in the window every day" (which obviously an unscrupulous pet shop could say anyway but...), I think it comes across that they are encouraging "adoption" which is widely associated with shelters and rescues rather than pet shops or Internet.

And the overall message is that things don't run smoothly for this guy and the pup destroys his important project, but he acknowledges that she didn't do it to be a pain and remains committed to her.

There is no one perfect way to get a pet, nor can any of us make people do things that way we want them too, people may make mistakes and not feed perfect nutrition BUT if every pet owner went into it with commitment to perservere through the tough, frustrating times there would be far fewer abandoned dogs out there.

It's a pet food ad, not an animal welfare educational video, and it IS cute :shrug:

Edited by Simply Grand

I keep wondering why "the general public" still think it's ok to buy a puppy from a shop...

and then we get insanely cute and watchable ads like that...

Nope we can't tell people what to do but the ad makers have missed a good opportunity to promote responsible breeders.

Some might, we had Chihuahua puppies at the RSPCA.

I did make the same observation about the RSPCA ad that featured an Aussie Shepherd and plenty of people pointed out that pure bred dogs do in fact end up in shelters or rescues, and also that from an advertising point of view a dog that gets attention is obviously more useful than one that people don't notice as much.