Partnership With Uq Sees Pawfficers Receive Vital Preventative Surgery

Boronia

http://mypolice.qld....tative-surgery/

There is a video in the link which I will probably fail to imbed

Partnership with UQ sees pawfficers receive vital preventative surgery

Maui-and-Chad-McLeod-200x300.jpg

Best mates: Senior Constable Chad McLeod and PD Maui

Queensland Police Service and the University of Queensland Veterinary Medical Centre Small Animal Hospital have partnered to ensure our police dogs statewide are at the top of their game by minimizing their risk of developing the life-threatening condition of gastric dilatation and volvulus (GDV).

Sergeant Sean Baxendell said GDV is common in large, deep-chested dogs such as German Shepherds and in high drive working dogs.

"This condition occurs when the stomach bloats and twists. Left untreated, the dog can die quickly," said Sergeant Baxendell.

"There are a number of theories on how to prevent GDV such as eating wet food or staying still after consuming food but none minimize the risk like this procedure.

"The procedure, known as a gastropexy, creates a permanent adhesion between the stomach and the body wall to prevent the stomach from twisting.

"All sworn police dogs will be undergoing this surgery at the UQ Small Animal Hospital in Gatton to hopefully prevent this condition from happening.

"Our police dogs have a very important role in our communities and in the service. Well-loved by all, we want to ensure long, happy and healthy lives for them."

Brisbane Dog Squad's Police Dog Maui was the latest to go in to UQ's Small Animal Hospital for his laparoscopic surgery.

PD Maui's handler Senior Constable Chad McLeod said Maui was his usual happy self and was oblivious as to what was happening.

"He greeted and licked the veterinary staff, surgeons and the anesthetist but he wasn't very impressed with me when he woke up after the surgery," Senior Constable McLeod said.

"The UQ staff did an amazing job looking after Maui. I was able to take him in and pick him up on the same day. The surgery went smoothly and the care he received was excellent.

06_Dog.Calendar.2016_MAUI_rgb-1024x683.jpg

Healthy and happy: Police Dog Maui underwent the preventative surgery

"I've known colleagues before who have lost dogs suddenly to GDV and I'm grateful to not have that stress. Maui is an incredible dog and I would hate to lose him.

"Our dogs live at home with us; they are a part of our families. The last thing that we want is for them to retire early or even die. So for me, this basically ensures Police Dog Maui has a very minimal chance of succumbing to GDV.

"Maui will now enjoy a few weeks at home with me and my family while we both take leave, alongside my other police dog, recruit dog and retired police dog."

IMG_8879-300x225.jpeg