The Dog Meat Trade :(

sheena

Indonesia cracks down on dog meat over rabies fears

Indonesia's dog-eating community is feeling under siege.

An order by Jakarta's governor to investigate dog meat sales in a view to begin to regulate the trade has inspectors trawling through restaurants across the capital.

There is no regulation on dog meat consumption in Indonesia and it is a popular cuisine among some communities around the country, particularly in Jakarta.

But Jakarta's governor, Ahok, has ordered an investigation amid concern the movement of dogs across internal borders could see the spread of disease such as rabies.

Guest donatella

Im pretty sure we don't blow torch our live stock alive and other barbaric practices prior to eating.

I don't agree with the way the animals are treated either ie live trade. But f*** me some of these dogs are tortured before death

We don't treat our animals anything like them. Civilized versus uncivilized, simple as that.

...that's a pretty high moral ground you claim here, considering that you find alone 7 pages of titles about animal torture here in this forum, e.g. about this case My link ...while these dogs have not been bred for food - 'only for pleasure and money' - it doesn't look very 'civilized' to me.

In one culture it is common to eat dogs, in another culture it is common to eat pigs, and somewhere they still slaughter dolphins because it's their 'tradition'. Used to 'our own culture' obviously everything feels right, but with a holistic view it is suddenly not so easy anymore. I really don't like that dogs are seen as a food source, but I don't believe that it will help the cause by just pointing the finger and claiming higher ground.

They are unfortunate individuals, not a culture.

Let's not conflate the debate about types of meat eaten with the way the animals are treated before slaughter--there is no comparison between our two cultures. As unpopular a view I'm sure it is on this forum I don't necessarily have a problem with dog eating, but boiling them alive, beating them, burning them etc is what we are talking about here, not the relativity of what type of animals we respectively eat.