Point And Shoot

denali

Hi all,

My sister is wanting a decent point and shoot camera for her upcoming overseas trip.

Nothing too fancy, or ridiculously expensive, but some suggestions of little cameras that take decent quality pictures would be great :)

Thanks in advance!

A few years ago I spent a while doing reviews on a high end point and shoot and bought a canon S100. It has the usual automatic features but also allows adjustment to shutter speed, apertures, ISOs etc. They've come down a lot in price and ebay had some bargains!

You can check out photos in photobucket or Flckr if you search on the camera name.

There's probably better ones out there by now but doing reviews is always a good idea first. Good luck to your sister. :)

I was on holiday in Morocco a couple of years back with my Kodak P&S and one of my fellow travellers had a Panasonic Lumix 10x optical zoom. The photos were just so amazing compared to my camera (and others on the trip as well). The colours and the various shooting options were also much better. So I bought myself the same camera as soon as I got home! I am planning on upgrading mine before my next big trip.

At present the most photos I take is usually at concerts and I've played around with the different shooting options and worked out how to take the best pics in that kind of light setting and distance. So even though it has a pretty good optical zoom option and ability to take pics in dark and bright lights it is still a very lightweight and small camera and I can carry it in my little shoulder bag.

Make sure she gets at least one spare battery for her trip (I'd get two) and a good sized memory card (or two!) as well.