Behavourist ..adelaide

Trishm

I am hoping that someone can recommend a behaviourist for an elderly lady who lives near me, she has always had little swfs, and after the last one died she bought puppy, and because she doesn't drive it was delivered to her.(Warning No 1)... It is a nasty little pup, now about 7 months old, it attacks her older dog and the lady, if she tries to reprimand it.

It has had a pin inserted into one of the front legs because the bones were growing at different rates, which has now been removed, and obviously there has been some pain involved, but she has always been a nasty little pup, so that is not the problem. The Vet has to muzzle it to examine it. !

The owner is planning on taking it to obedience, but I have convinced her that she needs someone to come to the home and see what is happening, she is happy about that, she didn't realise that this service was available.

So if someone could recommend a great behaviourist I would be grateful, this lady needs help.

Ok, bearing in mind I've not used any of these behaviourists / trainers. The only one I have had a consult with was Steve Courtney on a visit to SA a few years back.

He recommended NILIF (nothing in life is free) for my dog, I wasn't happy but let it go. He didn't make anything worse at least.

To manage this dog's problem (minimise trouble) maybe NILIF, hand feeding all his food, and crate training (as per crate games dvd) might help. Ie need to stop him from harassing the other dog and the owner. Crates are good for that - once the dog has learned that it's a safe place to be full of good things for the dog (eg chews, toys, water...)

So I did a course with WEA with Alexis from Scholars in Collars. She's based in Mt Barker (hills) but I think she travels and can recommend someone else if that's more convenient. Her training methods are based in the latest science and best practice.

www.scholarsincollars.com.au

There's also the two Traceys - one is a vet and the other is a trainer - they work in combination. Ie the dog gets checked for any physical problems and mental ones including anxiety... the dog might be medicated so it can be trained, ie calm the dog down with meds, then train it appropriate behaviours in the face of a trigger (eg other dogs), with the aim of getting the dog off meds. I went to a lecture they gave at the Port Adelaide Football club

http://www.adelaideveterinarybehaviourservices.com.au/www/content/default.aspx?cid=733

One trainer I have met and have respect for her methods is a delta (reward based) trainer called Bodil Schou-Hansen

http://www.petdogtraining.com.au/about-us/our-team/

Any of them should be able to recommend someone else who deals with the specific problems that your friend is having if they can't.

Snook would be a good person to PM on the subject. She's been through some good trainers and bad ones and ones that might have been good if it wasn't for traumatic slip ups.

PS

it attacks her older dog and the lady, if she tries to reprimand it.

Reprimanding an angry dog is often a good way to get bitten. I think dogs respond in the way they get treated. If one dog scolds another - the other dog scolds back. And then it can escalate. So dealing with the new dog harassing the older one, I think it best to stay calm, no yelling.

Chances are the new dog may see the owner yelling as joining in and approving of the harassment. Or blame the other dog for it being reprimanded which escalates to "I get you before you get me".

I would train "collar grab" - pair grabbing the new dog's collar with treats for the new dog. And if he starts harassing the other dog, collar grab (quietly and calmly, no treat and no scolding) and on lead until he calms down... then maybe release or loosen up on the lead to see what choice he makes. If he repeats the harassment of the other dog, he gets to spend time apart in another room or the crate.

If he's too dangerous to try the collar grab training - I'd be taking him to the RSPCA or AWL or rescue ASAP. The old lady's skin is not worth being shredded over this. If the circumstances are explained, council or RSPCA would probably come and get this dog.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Thanks for the help, I have noted the websites and will get her over to look at them, (No computer), I think the initial fee of $600 would be beyond her budget, maybe Amy Van Dyk may not be so expensive, anyway it will be her decision, so thanks for your help.

Bodil will probably be the cheapest. Followed by Alexis. Because they are trainers not vets.

But if they think your dog is unable to be trained without meds they will send you to the vet.

But if you can't afford those guys - ask them to recommend someone.

You might find someone from a dog club willing to try to help for free but you'd want to choose carefully. Some of them are familiar with best science based training and many are not.

But $300 for a 2 hour consult in home is pretty reasonable. It's likely to be at least three hours of their time. They probably carry insurance $$ and the ones we have recommended here all have some level of professional training in dog training and hopefully owner training.