To Click Or Not To Click?

Bowzer

Hi There,

I have used a clicker to train my 11 month old Kelpie X Lab in the past with good results.

Now we are doing obedience class together and no-one uses a clicker there and I dont want to rock the boat using one so have gone away from it for a while.

I have just read up on LAT training and it has refreshed my interest in the use of the clicker again.

I know consistency is the key so does that mean I should stop using the clicker away from dog school all together?

Thanks in advance

Bowzer

Hi Bowzer

The clicker is really good for very precise movements eg trying to capture an ear flick - if you are fast enough to click when the ear moves...

If it's an action in motion like heeling - "yes" can work better. Ie if you click the dog doesn't know if it's for being next to you, or lifting a paw or wagging the tail, bum out, bum straight etc. Actually clicker might still be helpful for "come" to front of you. Or what the agility people call a "front" cos the last thing you want with an agility dog is one stopped smack in front of you...

So it's ok to go with a word that's nice and short and easy to say when doing obedience training. It is possible for 10 dogs doing obedience training to all be using clickers but personally I'd go bonkers with the noise. Dogs figure out which is their clicker. They hear more accurately than we do. Mine can hear the lid coming off the yogurt tub at 30m and around a corner.

I use a clicker and a (bridge) word. The dogs don't seem to mind as long as the criteria is the same. :)

I've also taught myself to make the click sound with the same sort of tone. :p In a class situation though, a bridge word is the best as you can alter the volume as long as the tone is relatively the same every time.

Hi Bowzer

The clicker is really good for very precise movements eg trying to capture an ear flick - if you are fast enough to click when the ear moves...

If it's an action in motion like heeling - "yes" can work better. Ie if you click the dog doesn't know if it's for being next to you, or lifting a paw or wagging the tail, bum out, bum straight etc. Actually clicker might still be helpful for "come" to front of you. Or what the agility people call a "front" cos the last thing you want with an agility dog is one stopped smack in front of you...

So it's ok to go with a word that's nice and short and easy to say when doing obedience training. It is possible for 10 dogs doing obedience training to all be using clickers but personally I'd go bonkers with the noise. Dogs figure out which is their clicker. They hear more accurately than we do. Mine can hear the lid coming off the yogurt tub at 30m and around a corner.

Ok thanks MRB, so I will continue to use voice at obedience and I can use clicker for LAT game as per instructions then? :)

I use a clicker and a (bridge) word. The dogs don't seem to mind as long as the criteria is the same. :)

I've also taught myself to make the click sound with the same sort of tone. :p In a class situation though, a bridge word is the best as you can alter the volume as long as the tone is relatively the same every time.

Cool thanks S & T,

So combining the two will then be ok for occasions when I am not using clicker?

Cool thanks S & T,

So combining the two will then be ok for occasions when I am not using clicker?

A word is fine in place of a clicker, as long as you have charged it up like you did with the clicker, and you make a conscious effort to make it sound the same each time. :)

Yes Bowser - once you charge up whatever bridge you want to use... you can use that.

Eventually the actual cue becomes like a reward...

And you will get weird things like the dog lying down when you said "sit" so it can hear "sit" again... Be careful of repeating a cue...

I'm not as strict as Staff and Toller about how my bridge word sounds - but that probably shows in how reliable my dog's responses are (not).

I use "yes" but I also use "good dog" and I'm careful that these words do not become "come and get a treat now".. but more "treat is coming soon"... So I'd fail at Bob Bailey's "chicken camp" where if you click (or say "yes") - you MUST TREAT even if it was a mistake or especially if it was your mistake.

I use a bunch of different words that indicate "no treat for that" or Non reward markers" like "nope", "nearly" (when she's on the right track but not quite reward worthy ie needs to change something), "oops" (I use when either of us stuffs up so I guess that's not all that helpful to the dog apart from teaching her mind reading or do what I mean not what I say... which she is pretty good at (eek).

Yes Bowser - once you charge up whatever bridge you want to use... you can use that.

Eventually the actual cue becomes like a reward...

And you will get weird things like the dog lying down when you said "sit" so it can hear "sit" again... Be careful of repeating a cue...

I'm not as strict as Staff and Toller about how my bridge word sounds - but that probably shows in how reliable my dog's responses are (not).

I use "yes" but I also use "good dog" and I'm careful that these words do not become "come and get a treat now".. but more "treat is coming soon"... So I'd fail at Bob Bailey's "chicken camp" where if you click (or say "yes") - you MUST TREAT even if it was a mistake or especially if it was your mistake.

I use a bunch of different words that indicate "no treat for that" or Non reward markers" like "nope", "nearly" (when she's on the right track but not quite reward worthy ie needs to change something), "oops" (I use when either of us stuffs up so I guess that's not all that helpful to the dog apart from teaching her mind reading or do what I mean not what I say... which she is pretty good at (eek).

Thankyou MRB

It seems you and I do things alike

I am bad for repeating a cue (I get told off at training class weekly)

Thank you very much for the great advice. :)

Ok so LAT training will work Ok with "yes" as opposed to click then cool.

He is quite distracted by other going ons at school so wanted to try this method (LAT)

:)

Definitely :) I have used this approach with any number of clients. Sometimes I prefer NOT to use the clicker as it's so precise what happens if your timing is out? You might reinforce the behaviour you don't want. They seem to be more forgiving of a less precise marker.

Edited by The Spotted Devil