the 'smartest' dog breeds, according to a canine psychologist

Boronia

It varies so much within a breed too though, so it really is hard to say that the entire breed is smart. 

I have had 4 cavaliers personally,
one- he is a genius (and not always in a good way :laugh: ), very quick to pick up on things. Problem solve and very willing to work for me.  
one- he is the slowest dog i have ever owned. It takes him a really really long time to pick up on most things, but once he has. He doesnt forget it. 
one- he was very smart and easy to teach, willing to please, but never taught himself anything, so never got up to as much mischief as Kokoda does. 

And lastly- he is always questioning whether there is anything in it for him ad wont necessarily do it. But when he does want to, he picks things up very quickly. 

Thats just 4 dogs- but what it has taught me is that every single one of them is different. This is also a breed bred for sitting there and looking pretty :laugh:

I used to believe this kind of study. Until I got a shar-pei (number 51 on the list!). So intelligent they choose to ignore you because they see no point in what you are asking them to do! I had so many fosters come here and learn our routines by simply watching my dogs that I poo-poo these kinds of studies now. Initially I couldn't get near them to train them but they learnt the important stuff anyway! Free thinking dogs are always a step ahead of their humans and when you have to think like your dog to work out how to work with them I think that shows a high level intelligence of a problem solving/survival/instinctual nature that can't be improved with treats.

Jesse (kelpie cross) learns new things very quickly and is very obedient. Jonah (Shar Pei) learns stuff quickly if he wants to and is Shar Pei obedient. Ie does stuff begrudgingly. If we we are walking and I call Jesse she runs straight to me No matter the obstacle. Jonah however will plot a course that intersects with mine up to 20m ahead of us, So that he doesn't have walk on grass or jump over stuff.

I suspect he is as cunning as a shit house rat.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

• Like 1