How Do We Teach Our Collie To Play?

ted our golden retriever doesn't play games alone either. he gets lots of encouragement from nina and will play with her, but not by himself or with us. We haven't really worried about it because he plays with Nina and my arm is already sore from throwing the ball for her! He doesn't seem concerned and is much more interested in pats and food.

he will retrieve the toys (and socks) that are lying around and put them in a pile and guard them!!! he will also take the squeaker out of toys to stop Nina making a racket! :) but if you throw the toy he just doesn't get the point!

Nina on the other hand loves squeaky toys, balls, and playing tug with Ted.

there was a training technique from the "dog whisperer" book for getting a dog interested in balls/toys. i can't really remember it very well but I think it involved you playing with the toy/ball out of their reach (or while someone else is holding the dog's lead and they can't get to the toy) and rewarding when they paid attention to it and building it up until they were chasing the ball/toy.

you could also try a "treat ball" too maybe? a self-rewarding toy...

A lot of dogs simply don't see the point in playing with 'things'. I don't see this as a big worry necessarily. Remember toys are inanimate objects and some dogs may simply see them as boring as they dont really 'do' anything.

Different types of dogs may also react differently to toys. Dogs with a high prey drive for instance may really like something that squeaks while dogs with a strong retrieval instinct may love balls and things they can chase and bring back. I think playing with many toys though does rely on having strong instincts in these areas. Dogs like my Pyreneans who have a low prey drive, once past about 12 months of age, generally couldnt care less about toys.

If you are worried that your dog is bored because it doesnt play with toys when on its own, perhaps look at things that provide more interaction. Stuffed kong toys or boxes with treats in them (the dog gets the fun of ripping up the box) or treat balls/buster cubes may get more of a reaction. Or how about setting up an 'egg hunt' where you put treats around the yard for your dog to sniff out and find during the day.

Otherwise, you may find that your dog simply enjoys to play more with another dog or human - in effect a 'toy' that moves and acts on its own without them having to 'make' it do something. Play chase, roll around on the ground, give hugs, do an 'egg hunt' with them, teach them to play hide and seek or teach them a few tricks for fun. Maybe these are things your dog would enjoy instead of playing with toys that just lie there and do nothing :) .

Edited by espinay2

Hi Chezzyr,

Rosie sounds a bit like Ebony, maybe its a female Collie thing? Although probably someone will speak up and prove me wrong hehe.

Sorry, have to disagree there. Of my last 2 female Collies the first was toy mad, from the time she got up in the morning to the time she went to bed she hwould be bringing me her toys. She was playing with her squeakys on the night she passed away in her sleep :) . The other never did care much for toys, but I got her when she was 5mths old and hadn't had toys as a baby.

Cheers,

Corine

Sorry Chezzyr, I'm in Sydney. :) Have always thought the idea of a puppy playgroup is good, ie Mums/Dads get together for a cuppa and chat and let the toddlers play together. I'm trying to get some similar aged dogs from obedience together for this sort of thing, ie free range play, but we have missed a few classes lately, so will try again when we return. :D

Anyone would think Rosie is trying to make me eat my words! This is what I saw tonight while preparing the dinner! OK, so she CAN play - with a couple of very select items..... :)

My Kel's is a collie girlie and hounds me all damn day with toys... outside to throw her squeaky balls and things, inside to play tug of war with her toys, throw them, just beat her up with 'em, she wont quit... I think there's a happy medium between yours and mine somewhere :thumbsup:

Yeah, shes really starting to grow on me :thumbsup: . Ive not owned a collie before nor had much to do with them which is probably why I have lots of questions! She is a funny little character. I will be looking out for other Collies at AP Lake on Sunday. Paws up who is going?

Guest Tess32

We are going with both of them - hope we can all make it around the lake, hehe.

I'd like a smoothie one day but I think I'd miss the grooming a little.

Nat

Looks innocent doesnt she? I have just let her in from her evening frolic/toilet and she had run amok in the backyard - new outside door mat in a crumpled heap down one end of the yard, two cushions scattered and battered, couple of mangled balls....AND she was barking a few times (we never hear her bark, didnt think she could). She is a little monkey! Never trust the quiet ones LOL.

post-9-1116072444.jpg

Guest Tess32

Gosh how cute is she!

Maybe she read your post on DOL and decided to give toys a go! :)

Nat