Salt Water Safe Equipment

SarahsMum

Hi everyone, 

My dog & I are fortunate enough to be able to go to the beach every day & I've found that dog leads with brass clips are by far the best so they don't corrode but haven't found any online or in the stores so the last time I needed a new lead I bought a lead at one of the dollar stores & the brass clip at the produce store & cut the clip off the new lead & sewed the brass clip on.

I'm now in need of a halti but don't want to buy any of the ones I've seen because I know they will corrode in absolutely no time.  Does anyone know of anywhere I might get one with brass fittings please?

Thank you,

Michelle

Leather leashes with brass fittings are easy enough to buy but I'm guessing the leather isn't going to survive too many salt water dips without a lot of frequent treatment,

No one in Australia sells haltis or any other type of head collar with brass fittings to my knowledge. You will either need to shop online in overseas stores or get a saddler near you to sew one up with brass fittings. Either option will not be cheap.

But before you go that route - think twice. You may not be able to cope without a halti, but do you really need it for seaside excursions?  If you are choosing a halti to stop pulling, there are other ways to achieve calm walking (admittedly they take more effort),  or you could use the halti on daily walks out of the water and switch to your ordinary leash when walking at the water's edge or in it. 

If you choose to use the halti to avoid the neck restriction of a collar then I would suggest a harness instead. These are available in Australia with brass fittings, although you will find them very expensive compared with nickel fitted harnesses. 

There is another option - buy equipment with nickel fittings and each day before entering the ocean, spray the nickel fittings with fish oil or WD-40, then after they have been exposed to sea water, rinse the fittings with plain water and dry with a hair dryer.

K9 pro have brass clips

Heres just one example 

http://k9pro.com.au/redline-k9-sure-grip-5-8-leash-pink/

AND I couldn't praise their syntek leads highly enough. I always got compliments on my "leather" leash when we were using it. Note: they might be moving to stainless steel so might be worth a call to check.

http://k9pro.com.au/long-line-syn-tek-black-7m-x-16mm/

Thst said, i didn't love the syntek collar - i found it too harsh on my boys coat. But a friend of mine got one at the same tine & her girl has worn it daily for 3 years no problems.

They also have harnesses that *look* like they have brass hardware. Again-phone to confirm 

http://k9pro.com.au/redline-k9-hero-neoprene-harness/

I can't comment on haltis - but RuralPug raises great points

Guest crazydoglady99

Could you try something like the Ruffwear front range harness instead of a halti?

(I got mine from k9pro) they are the ants pants, and no metal clips (well except one, but if your dog pulls you won't  use that clip)