Dogs off lead - Macedon Ranges Shire, Vic.

Is this un-usual?  I thought the requirement for dogs in public areas to be on leads was State-wide in Vic, if not a federal Govt rule for local govt to follow.

Quote is from Council information:

"In the Macedon Ranges, dogs in public places are not required to be on a lead, unless the area is signed. However, this does not apply to dogs that have been declared dangerous, menacing or are restricted breed.  Under state law, these dogs must be on a lead at all times when outside their owners' properties.

If you own a dog, you must collect and remove all droppings that they leave in a public place such as a park or on a footpath."

Not Federal. Federal dog laws are confined to matters like import/export and (potentially) trade. Everything else is the responsibility of states/territories and local govt.

It's a bit messy though.  State Law requires declared dangerous or menacing dogs to be on lead at all times.  Yet under a Council by-law, some yobbo with a dog aggressive dog that has not (yet) been 'declared' can have it off lead to risk injuring others: bit late to have it declared after the damage is done, even just feeling intimidated is enough for me with off-lead dogs.  Maybe I'm being over reactive because of the off-lead dogs being 'walked' past my home recently came in and did some poultry attack/killing.  It just seems a stupid non-regulation and when an uncontrolled dog does the wrong thing the owner wasn't breaking a rule.