Pimple like thing - what is this

teddybeans

I’m actually not sure how to describe this, I felt a hard tiny pimple like thing on my older boy almost like a mole.  But I know it’s not the mole because the mole is close by.  The thing is if I squeeze hard enough, there is some stuff that comes out(almost like a grain of rice).  It comes out semi soft but as soon as it is exposed to air, it turns hard.  

when I touch it  it’s noticeably softer after squeezing.  A month later, its back again.  Been like this for a while, doesn’t seem to bother him when i squeeze it.  Doesn’t bother him if I don’t .  It’s not infected and doesn’t bleed when I squeeze the stuff out.

What is this thing?  It’s on the side towards the back of the muzzle ( equivalent to the cheek area of a human I suppose).  It’s not noticeable, I just feel it when I touch it.

Edited by teddybeans

7 hours ago, Scratch said:

It sounds like a sebaceous cyst

If it is a cyst, it will not necessarily resolve on it's own, as they have a nasty habit of forming a skin around themselves which just fills up again unless removed. The stuff that you are squeezing out is actually a form of pus or dead skin cells that are congregating inside the cyst. If it's not bothering him and not getting bigger, then I'd just leave it... but if it gets bigger and becomes unsightly or sore, then maybe would look at surgical removal.

T.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tdierikx said:

If it is a cyst, it will not necessarily resolve on it's own, as they have a nasty habit of forming a skin around themselves which just fills up again unless removed. The stuff that you are squeezing out is actually a form of pus or dead skin cells that are congregating inside the cyst. If it's not bothering him and not getting bigger, then I'd just leave it... but if it gets bigger and becomes unsightly or sore, then maybe would look at surgical removal.

T.

Thanks! You guys are so knowledgeable!  Based on my so unscientific description you are able to put a name to it!:laugh:  I was thinking I have no chance anyone would know what I’m talking about!

Should I squeeze the pus out or just leave alone?  It’s not liquid, it’s literally rice consistency and goes hard after exposed to air.

If it’s small and the hole the muck comes out of is tiny, I’d probably manage it by expressing it regularly. 

If the hole is or becomes larger it becomes more difficult to manage that way. 

Sometimes they can get quite large and impacted and trying to express it manually could cause quite a large hole and other problems. 

Also sometime the hole can exude material that hardens into what looks like a cutaneous horn. 

As a groomer I see a lot of these. Many are manageable with home care , but some should definitely have veterinary intervention. 

If in in any doubt talk it through with your vet. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, teddybeans said:

Ok thanks, I’ll talk to my vet when my dog goes for it’s annual checkup soon

the size isn’t big, like a small pimple

Good plan. 

Of course it’s possible it’s something else, so a vet check will give you peace of mind 

• Like 2