NikkiandKane

Separation anxiety

24 posts in this topic

Some contacts if you decide to see someone in the future. This is your local Behaviour Vet, but there are many e.g. Creative Animal Solutions, Pet Behaviour Vet, AVBS and more who do remote consults (which can often be cheaper). http://www.calmcompanions.com.au/
and a trainer Canine Journeys. Nancy Tucker (via fenzi dog sports I think) and Malena de martini have online courses re separation related anxiety. Check Malena’s website for lots of info too. 

• Thanks 1

Just an update. We have decided that it is not separation anxiety but normal puppy behaviour after talking to a behaviourist. We try not to leave him alone for any length of time until he feels more independent and are working on games etc which achieve this. He regularly goes in the laundry crate for up to 40 minutes while I do housework like vacuuming or mopping and he is very relaxed about it. I let him out before he shows any signs of distress. He loves having a Kong in there.
he is slowly becoming more confident, happy to wander off to another room to sleep in a patch of sunshine and not having to follow me everywhere.

also he hasn’t even attempted to eat a rock since his surgery. 
there’s lots of things we are working on but he seems quite happy and well adjusted. 
he now knows not to walk through doors to the outside without sitting and meeting my eyes, that’s the magic trick for anything he wants, meet my eyes.

he also knows sit, drop, roll over, shake, high five, speak and touch. I love doing “touch” with him, it has taught him good self control to just gently touch a target without biting. He knows the meaning of a bunch of words too.

i just realised there’s no rush to leave him alone for very long. We can get there on his timetable since I work from home anyway.

• Like 4

What a fabulous update :love:  he is so lucky to have Scout as a calming influence as well :)

• Like 1

Snook   

It's great that you sought clarification from a behaviourist and feel more comfortable and confident with Kane's behaviour and progress. It sounds like he's doing really well! 

• Like 1