Landholders for Dingos

DogsAndTheMob

These are fascinating stories from landholders who live in harmony with dingos. They state that, by maintaining stable dingo populations, they improve the ecosystem by reducing populations of feral goats, pigs, foxes and cats, as well as kangaroos, with little predation on cattle. They do acknowledge that this would be difficult for sheep graziers.

https://landholdersfordingoes.org/grazier-case-studies-dingoes-in-the-landscape/

Edited by DogsAndTheMob
  • Like 5

I'd be happy to have them keeping the 'roos down here, they are way 'over stocked' in our area where they tend to be fed and watered but rarely preyed on by either humans or anything else. A huge buck of over 7 ft is often in my yard and has to be watched for when I go out at night. Its not uncommon to see up to 50 'Roos grazing a 5 acre paddock.

Water access and feed issues in drought doesn't impact wild populations near as much while there are farms ensuring their stock have access.

On 26/1/2023 at 8:31 AM, moosmum said:

I'd be happy to have them keeping the 'roos down here, they are way 'over stocked' in our area where they tend to be fed and watered but rarely preyed on by either humans or anything else. A huge buck of over 7 ft is often in my yard and has to be watched for when I go out at night. Its not uncommon to see up to 50 'Roos grazing a 5 acre paddock.

Water access and feed issues in drought doesn't impact wild populations near as much while there are farms ensuring their stock have access.

We do have “wild dogs” here (north of Newcastle). The few I’ve seen over the years look like dingos. After I lost the last of my sheep to them, I decided not to get any more sheep. It’s worth noting that they didn’t attack the sheep when they were in the same paddock as my cows. The sheep always ran in amongst the cows if there was any disturbance in the paddock.

We also have kangaroos, but not in plague proportions, so maybe the dingos keep numbers under control.