Bad Shampoo Reaction

Kazm

I had a dog react badly to a shampoo years ago so can't remember the shampoo but I think it was taken off the market. I filled in a form to send in to the govt department in charge of such things. The reaction was little bumps all over her, called urticaria.

Retrieve the shampoo bottle so you have the batch number, date of manufacture, any other numbers on the bottle. If no longer available, the store and date the shampoo was purchased.

Get a diagnosis from the vet for the name of the reaction.

Contact the breeder with the diagnosis and shampoo name. 

Fill in an "Adverse Experience Reporting (AER) form from https://apvma.gov.au (veterinary medicines and agricultural chemicals) Scroll down for 'I want to ...' [report a chemical].

But be aware contact dermatitis can be caused by many things, such as " plants, mulch, cedar chips, fabrics, rugs and carpets, plastics, rubber, leather, metal, concrete; soaps, detergents, floor waxes, carpet and litter deodorizers; herbicides, fertilizers, insecticides (including newer topical flea treatments), flea collars, topical preparations and medications" reference: The 5 - Minute Veterinary Consult

People who have itchy dogs need to be aware of anything new the dog encounters.

Edited by Mairead
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mairead, I also have an itchy dog. Hers is seasonal and we have found cytopoint injections work for her. Only has about 3 a year. But we are always open for suggestions and constantly learning different things - good and bad, about looking after our pets.I was probably quite naive about what a shampoo could do. None of my dogs have ever had a reaction so I was very surprised but have learnt now.  I am quite cautious with what our girl is given and in the way of food, it’s totally fresh and treats etc are all Australian made and owned. 

• Like 1