Dry Doog Food Question.

Hey Everyone,

I went to the petshop last night to buy some new dry dog food. The problem that I have is Buckley doesn't seem to be loosing weight but not putting any on. He is not overly skinny but I am concerned. I told the guy at the shop what he gets fed and told me that supermarket dry foods don't have much nutrtional value and therefore he is not getting the benfits of what he should. So I asked for his suggestion.

1. Hills Scienc diet

2. Eukanuba

3.Iams

I bought the Iams because he only had the massive 18kg bags of the adult small dog ones and he said that it is not as good a Eukanba but made by the same company and is a LOT BETTER than supermarket ones. It works out at just under a $1 a day to feed them.

Does anyone have any comments or other suggestins on

1. Weight gain for Buckley

2. Other good dry foods

Ta

Hi Em&Taco,

My favourite from the list is the Eukanuba and i did have my dogs on this before i changed to Eagle Pack which i have found to be even better. These foods are generally more concentrated than the supermaket foods so you have to feed less and are better quailty (you get what you pay for).

From experience i would recomend Eagle Pack, though it is hard to find.

Hope this helps :(

PS. If you are concerned about the weight maybe a vet checkup might help.

I would also try feeding him away from TACO. I have noticed when i have been there that even though Taco may not want to eat he hovers around the bowl just so Buckly doesn't get any.. perhaps that has something to do with his weight.

Plus the fact that all the seem to o is play, and play and play.. he would burn alot of energy, perhaps giving him the odd lamb off cut or brisket bone would help.. and Taco doesn't like them either so he wont steal them off Buckly (MY other dog LOL)

My top fav's at the moment would have to be..

1. Royal Canin (for both the cats and the dogs)

2. Advance (again for both the cats and dogs)

3. Iams (again for both cats and dogs)

I often also use Supercoat but fine the larger kibble better for my large dogs. Purina is also available thru supermarkets and i would consider it to be better then supercoat...though not as good as the ones i listed.

Thanks everyone!!! :(

They generally get the purina or sometimes the supacoat. Whatever is on special that week.

I give him a few lamb bones on the weeknd when I am home and he loves them. Taco has actually stopped hiding his now and has a go at them.

The Royal Canine, Advance and Eagle Pack.... Never heard or seen them before. Do only certain shops stock them? How much?

The bigger petshops and some produce stores will carry those ranges...Eagle pack is a bit harder to find though.

As to price i think they roughly work to the same prices as Iams/Euk, not sure how much the Eagle Pack is as i've yet to even see a packet.

Where you got your food from last night stocks royal canine and EUK and advance. Have no idea about Eagle pack.. anyone know where you can get in Brisbane.... perhaps i will ask him to order it in...?

Edited by katetk

Eagle Pack is a bugger to find, but i get it from Petz Dog Food Company (ph 0417 791 254) and they do free delivery for the Northside of Brisbane which is very handy. They also will give you samples before you buy which is great especially if you have a fussy dog like mine :( (luckly my other dog is a pig ;) ).

I get the Holistic Chicken which for a 3kg bag is about $30 but that lasts my two about two months or even a bit longer. The other variaties are i think a bit cheaper.

Little pet supply Place at The Gap (am assumuning sister?) anyway thats the place i was talking about Scruffy's. The also have Bonnie and other ones too.

(cat and dog stuff)

Just called them, they don't stock it but next time i go in will ask the owner re Eagle pack. Shop assistant suggested to try the produce stores, so perhaps brookfield has it? I really want to give it a go with Harvey, he only has a little kibble - is pretty much all RAW food, but I always like to keep some handy for when i forget to defrost .. like this morning :( so he had yoghurt and supercoat sensitive (chicken and rice) instead...he does fine on this one haven't had any probs but am hearing good things re eagle pack.

Is Cannon Hill anywhere near you? there is a Petwise there and if they are as good as the one over my way they'll have all those suggested so far....they would probably have to order in the EaglePack if you want to try that though.

ETA - I just checked where Cannon Hill is...and i don't think it's anywhere close..lol

Edited by KitKat

Ohhh I LOVE Petwise.. Just got their newsletter the other day love it (gee i am soo sad LOl). Have no points as I haven't been out there, so may make a trip out that way.

Was just thinking, the place i was talking about does stock PETZ stuff.. so are they the same people who supply eagle pack? if So he may order it in.. i really want to try it now LOL.. So what varieties do they have.. i like to steer clear of beef mainly wheat etc etc... anything like that?

ETA:- Thanks Melt.

ETA again.. sorry sister hi-jacking your thread ha ha ha! He's a solution to your problem.. just let Buckly live at MY House so TACO wont steal his food.. harvey is too much of a skirt to steal from others.

Edited by katetk

After spending 18 mths going through most of the premium dry foods and having Mr Fussy(3 yr old purebreed ridgeback) get half way through the bag and decide that he had enough of that brand, we tried purina pro plan and now after 12 mths using this he is more than happy with it :( and in the best condition he has been in and his breeder is more than happy with his looks.I would rate the pro plan higher than the others.We also have a 6 mth old (purebreed ridgeback bitch) who has only been fed on proplan puupyfood,and once again her breeder is very happy with her overall condition,also own a ridgeback x staffy (animal welfare league dog) who loves her Bonnie complete ;) which i would recomend as a buget dry food

We can also vouch for Eagle Pack (www.eaglepack.com.au for suppliers) and Purina Pro Plan (which is what i'm feeding at the moment). I'm not sure about Eagle Pack, but i know that Purina will refund your whole purchase price if your dog won't eat it. You just need to keep the receipt which needs to state the product name on it. It's worth a shot. We find Purina Pro Plan to be the most palatable to dogs. You can get Purina One in supermarkets, but it's not as concentrated as Purina Pro Plan (most stock feed places should have it or be able to order it for you).

Another thing to remember is that you don't want your dog getting overweight. You should be able to feel a thin layer of fat covering the ribs, but you shouldn't be able to actually see the ribs, plus your dog should have a waist!

Hope that helps!

Jen

Jen,

Ta. The Iams apparently does the refund policy aswell which is good. They seem to enjoy it.

I have had a feel around his ribs a few times and it is quite noticeable. He has a med. length coat so you can't physically see it. My sis pointed out that they are very playful and active and he could just be using up energy. He doesn't seem ill in anyway. I will give this a go and see how we go.

Em