Rip, Dear Maya Went To Heaven Today

Labsmum

Hi Maya,

So sorry for your loss.

We recently had to put to sleep our oldest dog. His liver was failing. He had not been able to keep down food in his last 24 hours and was having difficulty drinking. He refused food on his final morning (the first time ever) and I took him for a final walk at sunset on a Friday. There is no way he would have made it through the weekend. I could not walk away from him, he came home with me and is now guardin' the garden gate.

There will always be the question though, could he have lived another day/week/month. Probably, but not well.

Regards,

I too couldn't stay. I planned to, wanted to, but I just couldn't. 6 months this month my beautiful Mr Troy, between 16-17 years rescue boy, love of my life! He also had lost dignity but had a will to live unequalled. I do believe that I did best by him, as you did by Maya. It just isn't easier knowing that, and the smile goodbye I try to remember is love shared, not to represent guilt. Love and remember your beautiful dog for all the other memories, and the final goodbye. Give yourself an easier time, he would want that and is still with you IMHO.

Thanks all. His breed is of no importance at all. He happenned to be a labrador. (I refer to Blacklabrador) What matterred is that he was my loyal friend for 15 years. He was a dog, a dear and loyal dog. (To me he was "the best dog in the whole world" and I told him so daily and on his death bed). I know, given the right sort of considerations they are all the best dogs in the whole world. That is only my kiddy (child-remembering) way of saying it.

It has now been about three weeks since Maya passed away. Please pardon me for being so indulgent but I realised I did not get a pic posted before. I will try to post a few here.

MayaNong5e.JPE

sorry for your loss. Heartbreaking decission to make i know. Early this year I had to make the decission for both my 10 year old akitas. One was diagnosed with aggressive cancer & was suffering a sudden onset of violent seizures. The other a month later we thought he'd done his anterior crucial ligerment.operable we thought. when we took him down after he collapsed & couldnt get up we found all the suspention was shot both legs inoperable. Was heartbreaking cause mentally he was so allert.still a big pup.i held both of their heads & paws & cuddled them as they went over thebridge. Just know in your heart ol' Maya had a great life with you, you did everything you could,suffering no more will be looking down at you smiling & running free

xxxxx

Run Free Maya. Free from pain and suffering. Maybe you will find my beloved Rhys playing not too far away from the Rainbow Bridge. Dry your tears Mum and remember all the happy times you had together.

From Maya to his grieving Mum

When tomorrow starts without me

Think of me a little while

Dry your tears and try to smile.

Think of all we did together

All my funny little ways

Think of all

our happy days.

(the verse was based on the words of one of our other Rainbow bridge posters-"when tomorrow starts without me". ) I thought it was so poignant I used it to help me over the first few days after my Rhys died. Margaret

Hi Kaye...so sorry to hear about Maya :mad I too had our GSD Holly pts last tuesday 18th June..she was 10years old...I have cried every day as I miss her so very much..she gave us so much love & happiness....we stayed with her while the vet gave her the needle...we cuddled her & said goodbye....but you must not put yourself on a guilt trip for not staying with Maya...some people can do it, some can't...there is no shame in not been able to see your beloved pet pts....he knew you loved him so don't torment yourself...just remember all the lovely time you had together as I do :) my girl will be up there with your boy...she had a thing on labs :( it's hard but yes, we have to go on...not forget...but just remember you took away his pain...run big boy run :(

RIP Maya.

Jan :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...