Prong Collars

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so I'm on the same page:

Is the method you are describing similar to the priciples of 'double trouble?'

IE when the dog does not respond to a known command you recommand and correct without giving the dog the opportunity to comply, but you are actually using this method as the training phase for your dogs?

You don't actually give corrections until a behaviour is learned?

Then you use corrections after the command without waiting for the dog to comply?

Am I understanding? If so are you selective about using this method or do you find it suitable for all dogs?

K9 Force - too bad you are not in Germany!  I think I would really benefit from attending one of your seminars.

Sam

One day when I "con" him to going to Poland for some semianars you can just drive and attend :laugh:

Or perhaps we could organise a K9 Force Tour of Europe 2006 for him?

What do you think?

Edited by myszka

H:

Is the method you are describing similar to the priciples of 'double trouble?'

IE when the dog does not respond to a known command you recommand and correct without giving the dog the opportunity to comply, but you are actually using this method as the training phase for your dogs?

You don't actually give corrections until a behaviour is learned?

Then you use corrections after the command without waiting for the dog to comply?

Am I understanding? If so are you selective about using this method or do you find it suitable for all dogs?

K9: Every training method needs to have suitability for the temperament of the dog, of course.

No I dont use "double trouble" or automatic corrections as they are called.

I never wait until the dog doeswnt comply to do anything.

Do you find that using this method results in a dog that doesn't 'offer' new behaviours? What about with skills more complex than the sit, drop, etc? Does it make shaping difficult?

K9:  Any dog, give it a try, method one where you wait & see, & method mine, in which you dont...
Haven:  Am I understanding? If so are you selective about using this method or do you find it suitable for all dogs?
K9: Every training method needs to have suitability for the temperament of the dog, of course.
Haven:  Do you find that using this method results in a dog that doesn't 'offer' new behaviours? What about with skills more complex than the sit, drop, etc? Does it make shaping difficult?
K9: no I dont find that it deminiushes the desire to please nor offer new behaviours, but having said that, I dont use one method of training for every dog either

K9 - Just following the posts in this thread, and wanting to make sure I'm understanding.

With what temperament types do you not use your "pro-active" training method described in this thread?

Does what you're trying to teach the dog have a bearing on whether you use the "pro-active" training method? ETA: Or is it only the temperament that influences your decision?

Edited by Erny

E:

With what temperament types do you not use your "pro-active" training method described in this thread?

K9: Erny, the method will work with any dog, but will not suit all goals & isnt a solution to temperament problems. I dont use the exact same method training a pet as I do solving aggression as I do training a working dog, hope that simplifies things for you.

E:

Does what you're trying to teach the dog have a bearing on whether you use the "pro-active" training method? ETA: Or is it only the temperament that influences your decision?

K9: pro active trainers decide how the training will progress, it has nothing to do with any one method. Its just not allowing the dog to dictate how things will be.

Earlier, you said that you trained the same way, if thats the case, you shouldnt have any questions...

Edited by K9 Force

Earlier, you said that you trained the same way, if thats the case, you shouldnt have any questions...

I thought we did - but my next action in the process of training is dependant on what behaviour the dog gives me .... so I guess you're right. I am a "reactive" trainer. Having had it, since then, more fully explained and understood as to what you meant by "pro-active" allowed me to see the differences. I'm just pondering on where the "pro-active" method you describe might and might not be applied to the advantage of outcome of the dog's training. Sorry for the questions but thanks for your answers.

Edited by Erny