Prong Collars

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, i'm pretty sure these things are now illegal... so i'm guessing not many places will sell them...

my bet is you'll have to order one from OS...

edit: ok, i've just proved myself wrong... our very own Steve from K9Force sells them, and can have a chat to you about what you need it for and proper use...

http://www.k9force.net/

keep in mind these things ARE illegal in many (if not all) states of aus...

Edited by Scope

They are legal in Queensland. Where are you located? A petshop in Browns Plains sell them still (or at least then did a few months ago).

Buying from OS is not recommended unless you are buying it in pieces.

Customs will not allow a full collar to come in - but if you buy it is parts then they will allow the parts in.

K9: they are banned in Victoria, other states are ok, but I cant find any legislation on SA.

There are a restricted import from overseas, you require a permit.

We have USA made Titan collars in stock just about all of the time.

Em & Taco, i've taken the easy route and i'm just going to throw in a link to K( Force's website - here - There is both a picture and a discription etc :thumbsup:

Hope you don't mind K9Force :rofl:

PS...i have used one of the collars and the results are interesting to say the least..and this was after putting it on myself (own neck). All i can say is it looks worse then it actually is.

hiphoppresident

Best thing since sliced bread......if used correctly. Josh, if you've not used one before, and I'm saying this without knowing your reasons, I would suggest you contact Steve from K9 Force for guidance :thumbsup: .

Julie

Guest Tess32

Pixel - nope, they are training collars - that one just looks like it's "pronged" for fashion?

Nat

OMG :thumbsup:

The poor dog

Why do you say that?

Do you know how this type of collar is used?

Dont let the look of it make your decision on the collar. That collar if used properly does not hurt the dog, in fact the correction by this collar is less peinfull than the one of a check chain.

Do you know how this type of collar is used?

Dont let the look of it make your decision on the collar. That collar if used properly does not hurt the dog, in fact the correction by this collar is less peinfull than the one of a check chain.

Absolutely, Myszka. A big part of the reason they were banned here (Victoria), I believe, was through the publications of pictures, rather than education on their uses and benefits.

Besides often being kinder than the common "Check Chain", there are some dogs around that cannot wear anything other than a Prong Collar (or Power Chain, as they are also known as). Eg. Dogs with neck injuries/sensitivities.

They have limited "slip", whereas the Check Chain does not.

Pictures often make people think they're designed to "dig into" the dog's neck, whereas, if people had the opportunity to actually see and feel one, they'd see it's action is based more on a "pinching" of the skin.

I've seen some really great responses from dogs working in these types of collars. And I've seen dogs that wag their tails and get excited when their owners bring out their prong collars to go training or for a walk or whatever.

That was, of course, before legislation to ban came in here in Victoria. Now I don't see any of them at all ..... ever.... no way ..... absolutely not!

Guys I can tell you two things specifically from personal experience:

1. The majority of dogs wouldn't require the use of a prong collar, but it is certainly beneficial for those that do

2. During the equipment component of a course I did we were given the opportunity to actually put a prong collar and a common correction chain around our leg and feel the difference. The correction chain was worse, if you don't believe me, try it yourself.

It's a nasty looking piece of equipment, which has lead to people with no experience or education of their useage succesfully having them banned in VIC.

I've seen some really great responses from dogs working in these types of collars. And I've seen dogs that wag their tails and get excited when their owners bring out their prong collars to go training or for a walk or whatever.
Absolutely agree Erny. Jeddah has become quite possessive of her collar. Gets a little wierd and pokey with her nose when I take it off. :)

Steve from K9 Force had her on a loose lead within five minutes. After check chains, halties, haltie attached to check chain, anything that Obedience class could throw at us we got a result in 5 minutes. AND A VERY HAPPY DOG, bouncing around. Correction is just the slightest touch. And I mean slight, Jeddah would happily choke herself whilst walking on the check chain.

Incidently, I heard from someone recently returned from the states about a 'plastic' prong collar.  Anyone know what this is about?

Yeah - I'd like to know too ....

Phooey to the legislaters who banned these collars. My understanding is that an MP has confessed that submissions in favour of the collar when the legislation was proposed, were not even read. :)

IMO, government adopted it as a "vote catching" device targeted at the stupid and undoggy-educated! :mad